15 Responses to “Fashion Week Dispatch: Samantha Pleet proves eco-couture need not "scream green"”

Can we stop with the comments about eating disorders? Some people are naturally skinny. My mom is a size zero. I am a size 3, and people would make fun of me and *assume* i was starving myself because I was/am skinnier-than-average.

I know people who are struggling with eating disorders. But it’s crazy to erase thin people by assuming we’re just starving ourselves.

2. dragonfrog says:

There is a giveaway though – you can tell that the models are avoiding putting pressure on our scant agricultural resources, by not eating food.

3. The Hamster King says:

Green is the new harvest gold.

4. Chrs says:

Hand-delivering is remarkably inefficient in most places, but New York is one of the few areas that it makes sense to do so. As long as she doesn’t drive.

5. cjp says:

Green or not, this are boring, unpleasant designs. If clothes hang badly on models, imagine what it’s going to look like on an overweight freshman.

Besides, this idea has been around for a long time – like Kettle Creek Canvas Company, which started back in 1979. Their goal was to provide ‘natural fibers’ and high quality designs. They ended up with this:

• dragonfrog says:

Actually, sometimes the fact that clothes look bad and hang badly on models is a sign that they may be good clothes for those not about to die of eating disorders.

Clothes that hang well on fashion models cannot be worn by the healthy without bursting the seams. Clothes that look good on the healthy make the models look extra gross-o by accentuating, rather than concealing, just how skeletal they are.

6. Baldhead says:

One problem, from a business standpoint: “In America, we live everyone to know about the good work we’re doing anonymously.” -Jay Leno. Things that green but don’t scream it get ignored.

7. Charlotte Corday says:

Don’t know what that car is in the final photo, but I’ll bet that the carbon cost of building and driving it is just a wee bet higher than what is saved by “using organic cottons”. Rationalization is such a blessing…..

• Xeni Jardin says:

Your snark’s a bit off base, Charlotte. The entire event was sponsored by Mercedes-Benz, beyond this one designer’s show. The car company provided vintage, midcentury cars (read: OLD) as props/branding elements throughout this show and others, as I understand it.

• Anonymous says:

i think that car is a relatively new maserati (4.2L V8, 400 horsepower, although i’m sure given the nature of their work this one is a hybrid).

8. Mushimatosis says:

I like the clothes, but I think mostly when people make “ecofriendly” clothes look ecofriendly it’s because they include that in their concept, there’s no shame in that.

I think she totally failed in trying to make the clothes not look vintage. they look like something Nancy Sinatra would wear (that’s not a bad thing in itself, but as “Not making them look vintage” I think it’s a fail)

9. jockmac22 says:

While I understand your point Anon #10 (if that’s your real name), I have to say that the fashion industry resorts to the overly thin far too often for it to be considered a healthy depiction of the nature of women in the world. While I can accept that a certain number of women (and men) in the population are naturally this thin, the fact that only one of the women depicted in the images above doesn’t need to EFS (Eat a Fucking Sandwich) is as negligent and disrespectful to average sized women as the comments regarding eating disorders are to the naturally thin.

10. Kristen Philipkoski says:

To clear up the car confusion: Mercedes Benz sponsored the larger fashion week event, but Pleet’s show was separate from that and part of The Greenshows: http://www.thegreenshows.com, which was a collection of “green” fashion presentations. The after party was a separate event altogether and was held at The Classic Car club, where members can borrow fancy cars. @Baldhead, we meant that the clothes don’t aesthetically scream green. Since Pleet was part of “The Greenshows,” the eco factor was quite prominent marketing-wise.

11. jeligula says:

Fashion that is not steampunk oriented is anti-Boing Boing.

12. Blue says: