Poe's "Raven," performed by Star Trek's Q

18 Responses to “Poe's "Raven," performed by Star Trek's Q”

1. JackThompson says:

Headlines like this really bug me – it’s like saying “I saw Captain Picard starring in Macbeth!” Really should respect the actor over the roll.

That being said, I’d listen to John de Lancie read the phone book.

The Simpsons’ “Treehouse of Horror” version is my fav.

Christopher Walken’s version on the “Closed On Account of Rabies” album is also excellent.

4. bottyguy says:

I really prefer the Simpson’s version, it really tell the story, and I like they way they combine James Earl Jones and Homer reading it:

• CANTFIGHTTHEDITE says:

Ditto, the Simpsons interpretation of the poem in terms of their own universe was brilliant. My fav, by far.

5. Xenu says:

Q. should get his own Star Trek movie.

6. turn_self_off says:

About the only star trek episode with Q that was watchable was when he first stopped by DS9, and Sisko punched him.

• JackThompson says:

First and only time. Q made a singular appearance on DS9 early on, got decked by Sisko, and never went back.

• Tynam says:

Which just goes to show how much of a doormat Picard was, really.

But JackThompson is right. I think the audience should damn well be expected to know the difference between the actor and their most famous (rarely ‘best’) role. John de Lancie especially, because damn, he rocks.

• S2 says:

LOL! From the Words-you-never-expected-to-see-in-series dept: “JackThompson is right.”

Poetry is a spectator sport; almost always better to hear it than to read it. “Almost” because I suddenly had visions of Diane Rehm or Ruby Rhod trying to pull this off. (With apologies to JackThompson for not giving Chris Tucker his due ;-)

The Raven doesn’t just have to be a cold reading, it makes for a hell of a short film, if I do sa so myself!

8. Roy Trumbull says:

The version I have was done when Lord Buckley was being interviewed by Pat Henry who was the owner of KJAZ, Alameda. Buckley gets into it and Pat Henry is laughing in the background. In Lord Buckley parlance the raven was the bug bird.
    Then there was the speech of Brutus over the body of Caesar.
    “Hipsters, flipsters, and finger popping daddies
    knock me your lobes
    I come to lay Caesar out; not to hip you to him
    The bad jazz a cat blows wails long after he’s cut out
    The groovie is oft interred with his stash
    So don’t put Caesar down.”

9. FnordX says:

I see your John de Lancie and raise you one William Burroughs reading Annabel Lee: http://vimeo.com/2651548

Yes he was on Star Trek, however I remember him when he was a regular on Days of Our Lives.

11. Drhaggis says:

I have to say, that’s so Raven.

12. Richard Thames says:

Q is one of those unfortunate but amusing roles that transcends the universe it’s originally from. My coworkers and I were just talking about how it’s hilarious to see John de Lancie appear in other series or films and still think of him as Q messing with humanity.