Steampunk's founding fathers talk shop

10 Responses to “Steampunk's founding fathers talk shop”

Sad commentary that Steampunk has started out as a branch of science fiction and become a fashion and music trend. I’m part of a steampunk storytelling act called the Absinthe Minded Professors. http://www.ravenstory.com/clockwork.html

Its odd that we confuse people of the subculture. People are amazed that we are not a band since that is the norm . Even though we are getting good responses it is strange and sad observation that many people of a science fiction subculture don’t read.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Sad because….people who used to stay at home and read are now going outside? But, wait. You do a storytelling act. So sad because….music is the devil’s handiwork? I don’t really get the sad aspect of people enjoying themselves.

2. Egypt Urnash says:

What? On Stranger Tidesmight be the basis for the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie? This could be totally awesome.

J. Blaylock teaches at my high school and I always see him around, and think to myself who woulda’ thought thought he coined “Steampunk”

4. Ernunnos says:

How cool would it be to have Tim Powers as a teacher?

• Anonymous says:

> How cool would it be to have Tim Powers as a teacher?

I would *love* to get a paper back with the comment “needs more eldritch supernatural elements, shadowy secret societies, and killer clowns.”

5. technollama says:

The Anubis Gates is one of my favourite books of all time, it deserves a wider audience.

6. Church says:

Oh, damn. There was a steampunk-mecha story that ran in one of the trade mags in the early 80s that I’ve been trying to track down. This may be a huge push in the right direction.

7. theobroma says:

I wonder if K. W. Jeter’s view on copyright have evolved since Noir:

“There’s a hardware solution to intellectual-property theft. It’s called a .357 magnum. No better way for taking pirates off-line. Permanently. Properly applied to the head of any copyright-infringing little bastard, this works.”