John Cusack as Edgar Allan Poe, coming fall 2011

34 Responses to “John Cusack as Edgar Allan Poe, coming fall 2011”

1. franko says:

what the hell… i commented earlier in the other thread about the poe toaster about this very thing, with the very same link to the huffpo article with the bottom image, and now that comment is mysteriously NOT THERE. it’s a mystery worthy of poe himself. o.O

2. grobda says:

surely… SURELY, that was a job for Bill Murray.

3. Calimecita says:

What, he’s HERE? *Where* in Argentina, whereeeee!! (cry fades into wailing sob)
    OK, John, if you’re reading this, I am NOT a crazy fan. I swear I haven’t even seen all your films. But I sure would love to see you walking down the street! :-D

And I’m sure he’ll be a fantastic Poe.

4. seyo says:

What’s NOT cool is that they are drinking Fiji water out of plastic bottles. NOT COOL. Everything else is super cool though, even the goatees.

5. penguinchris says:

Goatees really are awful… and frankly I’m not sure it matters if Poe himself always wore one, and he only had the mustache for a week which happened to be when the famous photo was taken. I’m sure they’re not going for 100% historical accuracy, and the mustache in the photo looks great, and the goatee on Cusack… doesn’t.

I mean really, the fact is I’ve *never* seen a goatee that looked good. Usually they make whoever’s wearing it look like an asshole (in this case he doesn’t look like an asshole, but it doesn’t look good either). *Why* are they popular, especially in film these days?

6. kmoser says:

Is it me, or does Cusack look nothing at all like Poe?

7. Gilmoid1 says:

I hate to say this, but Cusack’s Poe looks like Edward Norton.

• Sekino says:

Yep. The instant I saw the bottom pic, I saw Norton in ‘The Illusionist’… Not that it’s a bad thing in my *ahem* eyes…

8. baph says:

To be totally pedantic, that’s a circle beard, or “genial”, not a goatee, although one of its elements is a goatee. Goatee refers to the chin-growth only.

I prefer the Van Dyke to the circle beard; in the Van Dyke variation, the mustache and beard are generally left unconnected, and the wearer ends up looking like a totally bitchin’ conquistador, especially when the mustache is curled upward, which has nothing to do with Poe and I apologize for this interruption.

• Donald Petersen says:

I grow a van Dyke simply because I don’t have the follicles to connect the ‘stache to the beard. Now and then I try to get the mustachios curled upward a la Rollie Fingers, but I have yet to commit to actually hunting down and purchasing mustache wax.

“Totally bitchin’ conquistador” is, in fact, exactly the look I seek. Except maybe for the helmet and bloodthirsty imperialism.

9. hoffmanbike says:

Quoth the raven “Two bottles of Fiji unopened and chilled.”

10. TomDArch says:

Another strong call for Bill Murray! I loves me some Cusack (man, I haven’t seen Grosse Pointe Blank in a while!), but on lots of levels I’d really, really like to see Murray as Poe!

He just made Poe hot with that goatee. I have faith he will deliver it proper….

12. Cunning says:

This man would have been casting genius.

13. AlmostLucy says:

I don’t think there are any major actors working today with the right level of asymmetry to properly be Poe.

Wasn’t there also supposed to be an Edgar Allan Poe film titled “Poe” that starred Robert Downey Jr and directed by Sly Stallone?

Quoth the paperboy, “Two dollars more!”

16. hastepost says:

I thought of Bill Murray first glance, same as Cunning.

17. Tony Moore says:

Does he have to have Iron Man’s goatee? and can’t Nicotero or somebody put the trademark bags under his eyes? Seems like simple enough look to commit to film.

other than that, i’m really looking forward to it. i have fait it could be really cool.

18. thequickbrownfox says:

Way cool.

19. jkg says:

he looks like Robert Downey Jr.’s older brother in that last one

Coincidentally, today just happens to be Poe’s 202nd birthday.

21. dollarama says:

Bah I hate goatees. Why does he have a goatee and not the Poe stache!

• Brainspore says:

Anybody know if Poe ever had a goatee? I know we all think of that ‘stache as a permanent feature since it’s the most famous Poe photo but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s representative of his whole adult life. Lincoln didn’t have that beard when he ran for president, after all.

22. BotchTheCrab says:

It’s too bad that Jeffrey Combs doesn’t have the bankable notoriety to carry this, because MAN he really looks like Poe and has been playing him for a while. Check out pictures of him in costume: http://www.google.com/images?q=jeffrey+combs+poe

• cls says:

Jeffrey Combs is amazing as Poe. I haven’t seen the stage play, but I saw him do a bit at a Star Trek convention last year and it gave me chills.

• Donald Petersen says:

Man, you’re right about Combs… he’s great. Check him out in the Masters of Horror episode “The Black Cat.”

Uh… unless you actually like cats. It’s pretty brutal.

• genre slur says:

Woah. Good call. Really appreciate Cusack (Better off Dead was my cherry), but Coombs is a fine actor and has a natural resemblance, Regardless, I’ll be watching the new one.

23. W. James Au says:

But will Cusack re-enact the incident when Poe was at West Point and he showed up at a full dress review, butt nekkid wearing nothing but his sword?

• knoxblox says:

By my understanding, this is just an urban legend. Poe was dismissed from West Point for “Gross neglect of duty” and “Disobedience of orders”, according to the Poe Museum in Richmond, Virginia.