KOI 326.01: The cream of the new Kepler crop

15 Responses to “KOI 326.01: The cream of the new Kepler crop”

Oh bloody hell. And I thought people ‘buying’ stars was bad. Watch as suckers are lured into the speculative interplanetary realestate market.

‘All this can be yours for thirty low payments of $99.99!’

And this, my scientist friends, is why you don’t make boneheaded announcments until a second run of the data has been made. The headlines a couple months ago were how a planet was found with a 100% chance of harboring life.

Now it is just another rock.

I humbly submit LV-426 (Hadley’s Hope) as a candidate name. You can send me as company rep for the Weyland Yutani Construction Company to mine the place.

Casting my vote for either Wunderland, Norstrilia, or Caladan.

5. Jason330 says:

It is going to need a better name than “KOI 314.02.” I respectfully submit, “Lovemesexy KOI 314″ or simply, “Lovemesexy”

6. Jason330 says:

Oh, how I wish I had the web chops to set up a quick planet naming registry. I’d charge people $50.00 to register the name of the planet and give 75% to the Delaware Science Teachers Association.

KOI 1503.00 now you are called…Minos Korva
    KOI 1026.00 now you are named… Omega IV

on and on…

7. Stefan Jones says:

Regarding KOI 1026.00:

“I’d buy that for a dollar!”

8. zapan says:

That classification would confuse news-gits like crazy.
    Get ready to end up with titles like “Black market planet trade unveiled” if they ever see that.
    Meanwhile, I’m french and j’exige a food guide metaphor chart, eg : KOI 326.01 is just like a classic yet tasty soufflé aux truffes with poached lobster, I give it to stars and a half.

It says something that KOI just makes me think of a punched paper tape reader.

10. Pantograph says:

Sure they may look cheap but the shipping costs are rumored to be astronomical.

Is there anywhere we can see these tables in full, or do we have to wait for the paper to be published? I would like to be able to point to the specific stars, draw concept art, and so forth.

I’m confused. If 326.01 is the first identified transit candidate around KOI 326, what is 1026.00? The zeroeth candidate around KOI 1026?

13. The Chemist says:

Wait until the International Star Registry finds out about this.