Sultan Berlusconi on Trial

22 Responses to “Sultan Berlusconi on Trial”

1. gwailo_joe says:

Silvio, you are so screwed.

It always amazes me that these people in such high-profile positions manage to do the most obvious career-ending, jail-baiting dumb-ass shit as if (and I guess they really do) expect to never get caught.

Something about the Brobdingnagian egos that got them to such high positions in the first place, I guess. . .

But if you want to have under-age orgies, or have sex in mens bathrooms, or insider trade your stocks or smoke meth in the back of an ambulance with a live squid on your head: why not wait until out of office (or at least on vacation?)

Save all that crazy, illegal shit for when NOT directly in the Public Eye! If any of these famous people had just ASKED me (Bill! Martha! all you closeted GOP guys!) I coulda told ‘em.

The Chutzpah of this Berlesque-oni is quite frankly amazing: I think the price he will pay will come as a severe shock to his warped self-image.

2. Chentzilla says:

It’s not entirely clear where the quote from the right-wing commenter ends. Quotes would be welcome.

3. Jasmina Tešanovic says:

@anon
    I meant antifederalism in this sense

but this is the italian way of dealing with it

reminds me of milosevic’s way of using communist internationalist language to pack a nationalist bomb

@ anon again
    in the last few months numerous enterprises with bunga bunga name have sprung: from groceries to sex shops…if berlusconi ever steps down that will be his legacy to the nation…we will all bunga bunga for ever

4. caipirina says:

Jon Stewart did a fairly funny bit on this last night … (I say fairly, the first part was hilarious, the last bit with the corespondents could have been better)

Since the ‘link share’ or any other share on thedailyshow.com never seems to work for me … just look for ‘La Douche Vita’

5. ChickenDelicious says:

This article is well-done, but I have to confess something…

I read this right after watching the honey badger video posted above it, and I was halfway through the article when I realized that I was mentally reading it in the voice of that narrator.

O_o

6. nipresa says:

Actually, “Ruby the Heartstealer” is not advertising a tell-all book. That would be way too linear. Instead, she’s advertising a looney pamphlet (“Il labirinto femminile”) written by a lawyer, a former member of the european parlament, which deals with the “sentimentalistic strategism that has interfered with the growth of human kind” (and should be somehow linked with conspiracy theories about banking and seigniorage).
    Another ad for the book was presented by celebrity agent Lele Mora, who is also under investigation for the “bungabunga parties”…

Jasmina, you had an actual error in saying that “anti-federalists” want to split the country, while in fact it is “federalists” that want that. But it’s not really important.

What is really important is that the sex scandals are not the gravest crimes by Berlusconi, but just the excuse to finally bring him to trial. In fact, there are much worse accusations (most of them wholly supported by many evidences) of his involvement in everything from being a middleman for the mafia to having ordered the assassinations of judges and journalists.

Thanks for letting the woes of Italy be known to the free world!

8. MooseDesign says:

Applaudito Benigni… very moving rendition of the anthem as a lament. It is very painful to watch what is happening in Italy under Berlusconi. Although, let’s be honest, he’s just the culmination of the decline that has been going on for a while now. But even more painful, seems to be the general resignation among many Italians to accept this new status quo.

9. Jasmina Tešanovic says:

@anon rightright thanks
    but it is so controlled that i made that lapsus
    its hardly a public service… (reminds me of serbian first channel during milosevic) sometimes even more catholic than the pope!

10. Jasmina Tešanovic says:

@matteoc, thanks but
    i grew up in italy, i studied in Milan, lived in Rome, here I am now often in Turin…
    even though i don’t have italian citizenship ( la semi clandestina) or italian blood (whatever that means) i consider myself half italian…for good or bad…

@gwailo_joe: Certainly you may be right and we’ll see of course.

However note that Berlesconi has been in power for a loooong time, faced numerous allegations of corruption and sleaze and still enjoys a substantial majority of public support according to polls.

On the one hand I feel like joining in with the haters but on the other hand I have a grudging admiration for the man and the seemingly effortless way he schmoozes and plays to the Italian people.

Trust me, in reality it isn’t effortless of course. But as part of a manufactured aura to inspire the masses and cut down his opponents – well, clearly the man is a masterful personality. How many other leaders can you think of that have had this much publicity regarding sleaze and corruption and not only stayed in power but stayed massively popular?

As a side note, Berlusconi and the Italian “government” in general are the only EU institutions NOT to condemn Qaddafi’s civil war.

Why? But it’s simple… in Berlusconi’s own words: “I don’t want to disturb a friend”.

Could any free country please help Italy out of this dictature of fools?

If Berlusconi is indeed on his way out, doesn’t he deserve a little send-off Bunga Bunga party?

tank for this post!!

I’m an italian blogger and Silvio Berlusconi not isn’t my President!!

tank for this post!!

I thought it was a little funny that in a country sprung from the Roman empire and raised on Roman/Greek mythology they were comparing the three female judges to Nemesis rather than the probably more accurate Alecto of the Erinyes.

Don’t be so confident about that. Sadly that bastard is working on a law he calls a “justice reform” that once approved will keep him out of trials.
    My only hope is that everyone saw the power of the masses in those middle east revolts. Somebody over here should have learned enough on how to deal with criminals in power.

A little mistake: “A right wing commentator of the TG1, one of the TV channels owned and controlled by Berlusconi himself”.
    That’s not true: TG1 is a RAI1 program, one of the public channels of national RAI network.
    It is surely influenced by Berlusconi’s political power but not actually “owned”: it’s a public broadcast, not one of the Mediaset channels (Canale 5, Rete 4, Italia 1 etc) in possession of him and his family.
    Anyway, thanks, a very good article.

18. matteoc says:

I am an italian living and working in a distant country, driven away because of the social landscape of my beloved homeland. I just want to say that often I find articles written by foreigners to be missing the point, or grossly misinformed if not tinted by downright jealousy. It’s not the case with this article… it’s very well done and I’ll be forwarding it to all my english-speaking friends. Thank you. :)

Matteo

TG1 is not owned by Berlusconi but is on the First Public Tv Channel and with the Second Channel is controlled by the government and of course by Berlusconi.
    Berlusconi has three channels of his own (Canale5, Italia 1 and Rete 4).

20. metafactory says:

Just out of curiosity, why do you call him “Sultan” Burlusconi?

@metafactory: I can only guess, but…
    Because of his harem? Apparently the girls lived together in a single residential complex… or serraglio, if you like.