Archive.org and 150 libraries create 80,000 lendable ebook library

7 Responses to “Archive.org and 150 libraries create 80,000 lendable ebook library”

I must be slow today, but can someone explain to me *WHY* out of copyright books are being loaned out and returned?

Books under copyright I get, but checking out their website it appears as though long-free books are being lent around in electronic form. Why not just copy them from institution to institution?

I’m sure there’s plenty of folks that’d disagree with me, but that which is in a Public Library ought to be Public Domain. No more of this “lending” crap when it comes to digital bits (ebooks); it just hurts my brain, it’s so contradictory, as bits just can’t be truly locked away, no matter how much the DRM lords kick and scream as if they can be.

Oh, and donate to libraries. That’s how they’re supposed to get by. Because the libraries do have to deal with some scarcity to operate, like electricity bills and such, and it’d kind of suck if the libraries went away because nobody was donating to keep them going.

3. Ingmar says:

So why exactly do I have to “visit a branch” to be able to borrow? You know, this new-fangled internet thing would allow to browse and download these books from the comfort of my home. But I suppose our corporate overlords won’t have it.

4. RobertBigelow says:

The Internet Archive http://www.archive.org/ is one of the better things along the information super highway. Their collections include an appreciable library of “The Computer Chornicles” and other early computer and Internet-related television program.

5. funkyderek says:

Will there be late fees if you forget to delete the copy you downloaded? What if your hard disc dies and you “lose” the copy?

This is obviously a good thing, as opposed to not being able to access these books but how long did someone try to explain the difference between atoms and bits to the powers-that-be before giving up and implementing something this self-evidently ridiculous?

6. God45 says:

Don’t support DRM. Trade PDF, TXT, RTF, CBR, and CBZ files with your friends.

7. AnthonyC says:

This is undoubtedly a good thing. It takes inter-library loan to a whole new level, and expands access to books. Many libraries together can afford to get rarely-used titles no one of them could afford individually.

OTOH, as I’ve learned from my university library’s e-books, there’s something disconcerting when you get a message that says that all copies of a file are in use, come back later.