An easy-clean metal filter for Aeropress

30 Responses to “An easy-clean metal filter for Aeropress”

1. SamSam says:

Weird, people are talking about the “old” clear one and the “new” smokey one.

I first bought an aeropress about two years ago. The plastic was slightly opaque, and slightly blue. It worked great.

Then, a year ago, I decided I needed one at work. I bought a new one and the plastic was clear. I decided to use the new, clear one at home, and brought the old one to work.

Then I never used the old one at work. The new, clear one at home, though, over the course of a year, because super scratched and so the plunger was no longer air-tight. Pushing the coffee through became a source of frustration.

Finally I brought the old, cloudy, blue one back home. It works great. There are no scratches. The seal is perfect.

So although I’m confused by people saying that the clear one is the old one, I’m pretty sure that I can say with confidence: stay away from the clear one. It sucks.

• nutate says:

I have the BPA-full one (yummy) seen here:

The new one is smokier looking:

My BPA full one still maintains a great seal and it’s gotten a bit scratched up. I’m not really sure how the laws of physics could allow otherwise, unless you had serious deep scratches in it or some damage to the black plunger thing. I don’t think the BPA free-ness of the new one would change anything.

Is yours like either of those linked to above?

• SamSam says:

Here is a photo, with closeup, of my old and new aeropresses:

The old, two-year-old one is the clean-looking one on the left. The new, one-year-old one is the brown scratchy one on the right.

They have probably been used a roughly equal number of times. The new one for a year, the old for a little over a year. Used 2-3 times a day. We used them exactly the same way.

Neither of them look quite like your photos. The plastic of the old, clean one looks more like your old BPA one (although it has different markings) — slightly blue, especially at the top of the plunger in that photo. The new one looks, to my eyes, to be clearer then the “smoky” one — you can only tell be looking at the plunger what it used to look like.

As you can see, the new one, which started out very clear, has gotten completely scratched and stained and opaque. It was used in exactly the same way as the old one, for less time, and is now practically unusable, due to the fact that the scratches break the seal. I blame the type of plastic used.

2. Pinkerton says:

Cafestol is one of the things a paper filter removes from coffee. When ingested, it activates cholesterol receptors, thereby increasing cholesterol levels. However, it might have anti-cancer properties. Pick your poison.

3. techdeviant says:

It doesn’t bother me too much to use the paper ones. I use my press ony a couple times a week, and the paper filters go in the compost pile.

4. AirPillo says:

Awesome, this would be great for travelling with the press and leaving the base and filters behind (they tend to separate from the rest of the stuff and drift around when you pack them in bags).

Thanks for sharing it, Rob!

Isn’t the Aeropress made of polycarbonate?

I’m leaving on a backpacking trip soon and was thinking on packing one with my immersion boiler for coffee, but I would like to avoid BPA.

6. Alvis says:

I must be doing it wrong.

I use the included paper filters with my Aeropress and the coffee tastes like… coffee.

7. SamSam says:

Hmmm, interesting. One of the things that people say makes the aeropress good is the quality of the paper filter. Apparently it removes a lot of the bittering oils or some-such-thing as the coffee goes through. I wouldn’t be surprised if this didn’t do as good a job, as I bet paper fibers catch such stuff better.

I like the idea, as I’ve just had to order a filter refill. On the other hand, a refill has 350 filters, which should last 6 months to a year, depending on how many cups you have a day. And I don’t worry too much about the paper — as their literature says, there is significantly more paper in a single copy of the Sunday Times than there is in a year’s worth of filters.

8. SamSam says:

Hmmm, apparently one of the reviews like the flavor much better. The other review, however, found the flavor “horribly sooty with a terrible astringency,” at least when using the plunger. I don’t know whether that reviewer prefers the paper filter, though, or if he always find it to be bad when he uses the plunger.

9. burritoflats says:

My wife and I have gone through at least six different “instant” coffee espresso makers since we’ve been together. Haven’t tried the Aeropress yet, we’re currently hooked on the KEURIG coffee machine. It spits out all sizes of coffee in under a minute. The little coffee “pods” are slightly annoying and seem somewhat wasteful but the resulting coffee is great, almost like a better Starbucks (which I generally despise) – like most things in Life, people all have their own opinions about what makes a good cuppa joe. Me? I just like my coffee to taste like coffee

I bought this filter at Mr. Green Beans in Portland a few months ago and I love it.

But I’m not a “this has notes of cinnamon and peat” kind of coffee drinker, I’m the “if I could put it through a central line directly into my blood stream I would” kind of coffee drinker.

11. sidb says:

$15.99 would buy over 1100 extra paper filters. If this metal filter makes sense, it isn’t because it saves any money.

12. juepucta says:

How hard is it to get a and use a Moka Express (Bialetti or generic)?! I mean for this plunger thing you are gonna have to boil water anyway. I can dig the toylike qualities of the plunger but still. Best coffee all around short of a proper espresso machine ($$$).

I mean really, how hard can it be?

Also, regarding bitterness, taste, etc: stop buying shit coffee. No need to go with civet cat froofroo stuff, but stop buying shit burnt roasted crap.

-G.

PS: somewhat related, what’s the diameter of your plunger coffee toy? Because i just realized you can probably get a replacement filter used in the, wait for it, moka express.

13. P Hirlehey says:

I find the Aeropress filters so easy to clean and re-use, and last quite a while before they need to be replaced. With daily use I need to replace a filter once every few weeks.

14. notpeter says:

I know there’s a link to Coava store in the Wired piece, but it might be nice if the BoingBoing text linked to the item not just three articles talking about it.

I love my AeroPress, but it seems to be made of exactly the kind of plastic that one should not be pouring hot water into. But I’m not sure.

16. kongjie says:

Seems a little excessive, but then coffee aficionados get that way, I suppose. A stack of filters lasts so long and has such a small footprint that I think I’ll stick with paper.

Love that AeroPress. Here’s more info on the materials it’s made from. (The old clear one has BPA, and the new smoky one doesn’t.)

18. nutate says:

I don’t use my aeropress too often, but I too have not run out of the original filters I got. I usually wash and reuse them 3-4 times at least.

Still it’s a good idea.

19. nutate says:

Also, a query, does anyone have anything to say about the old aeropress vs the new smoky colored one? I have the original, no reason to upgrade, right?

• EdCS says:

Exactly the same, as far as I can tell. I’ve got the old one, and a friend has got the new smokey one which I’ve used a few times, honestly other than the colour I couldn’t tell the difference.

20. BrendanBabbage says:

Well, as their lit and other posters have pointed out, there’s not the materials in one year’s supply of filters as a single newspaper. And, just for fun, I tried the “Re-Use” option. You can indeed flip them around, rinse them, press a little water through them and let ‘em dry and re-use a few times if you need to!

Frankly, this is one “Consumable” I’m all for buying more of.

I LOVE my Aero press. Really, years ago I came an inch away from buying a $600+ range device, but due to a family emergency I was suddenly way to broke. I ordered this on a lark just before I got out of the woods, so to speak, and frankly I couldn’t care less about the $600-$6000 machines anymore. This is simple, elegant, perfect. I’m literally going to buy more of these devices and a bunch of filter packs, fearing that like anything in the media if I “Like it” it’s somehow a horrible curse and they’ll stop making it.

Gawdz, that sounds like a troll ad, no?
    Not much I endorse at all..

Stainless Steel? Screw That! Stainless steel ruins the taste of coffee–that’s why they sell gold filters. When they sell gold filters for the AeroPress, then maybe….

Metal filters are so un-hip.

23. aeon says:

Love my Aeropress but can’t see buying that. Even here in rural New Zealand where you have to buy the filters by mail order it still isn’t an economical buy.

I talked to the AeroPress people. It’s the same thing, smoky color was added so people didn’t get concerned when their clear press started to turn the color of coffee :D

25. pjcamp says:

Paper filters bind to lipid-like compounds like cafestol and kahweol, two compounds in coffee that have been show to raise LDL levels. Metal filters don’t.

See the Harvard School of Public Health: