Elephantmen: Dr Moreau meets apocalyptic noir science fiction comic

14 Responses to “Elephantmen: Dr Moreau meets apocalyptic noir science fiction comic”

Finally some BB love for Elephantmen. This is the best comic I’ve read in almost 10 years.

2. Stu Mark says:

I was introduced to ElephantMen at my local shop a few years ago, when the first volume was released. Thank goodness they look out for me; ElephantMen is such a moving series. Gorgeous illustration, dense, soft, full of emotion. As is the storyline, sweet and sad. Bravo to Richard Starkings and to Moritat, Henry Flint, Tom Scioli, David Hine, and Chris Bachalo. ElephantMen is yet another way to get adults to consider comic books to be capital A Art.

And, once again, bravo to BoingBoing for shining a light on the beautiful things in the world.

3. Shart Tsung says:

Thanks, I’ll have to check out this series. Reminds me of Babar.

Being German, I now have a notion of childhood hero Benjamin Blümchen being the Elephantman on that cover…

5. Hunty says:

Nice to know that the comic is good. Up until now I’d only known Elephantmen for having the most textually confusing comic book cover of all time.

6. Philipshade says:

I gotta go with the Anons, I’ve been reading it since it came out and meaning to cut it from my list for months. At least in individual issues you’re only getting half a book for your money, which does making following the story hard.

Plus the way they were numbering and titling the covers can sometimes be utterly unreadable.

And then there’s all the mostly naked women.

Early issues are definitely the best.

Might also check out The Red Star collection, written illustrated by the guy who came up with Darth Mauls double-sided lightsaber.

Here’s hoping they show up at Bob Parsons’ house

8. macdonst says:

I’m so glad you liked the first volume. I chatted you up about this series back in September 2009 when you were in Ottawa for the writers festival. I’m a bit jealous that you still have volumes 2 and 3 ahead of you.

9. holtt says:

Here is a link to the comic’s site as opposed to just a “buy me” link to Amazon. The site has one free issue so you can check it out, plus back backstory and character info.

You can also buy it via Amazon link on the Hip Flask site and give the publisher a bit of support via their affiliate link.

I wonder if the “disjointed, flashbulb vignettes” work better in the collection than in the individual comic issues. I finally stopped buying this book years ago because I was sick of getting only six pages of story for my $3. Maybe I’ll give it another shot, I always loved the art and the concept.

I actually met Starkings at Comic Con a while back, and tried to talk to him about the Moreau books by S. Andrew Swann, which is about almost the exact same concept, with a different execution. Major faux pas. I was just really excited about finding more stories about genetically engineered animals, but I guess he had been dealing with people accusing him of a lack of creativity or something.

11. macdonst says:

@holtt Good point, I forgot to mention that Comixology is have a 50% off sale on Elephantmen this week. Ends tomorrow.

I enjoy it when animals are used creatively for telling a story – ok, yeah, I’m a furry – and the sad thing is that stuff like this often gets completely overlooked by furry fandom, when ostensibly it’s right up our street. Yet it’s been coming out for over 4 years and this is the first I’ve heard of it. (In retrospect, the only reference I can find to it within the fandom is from a largely-ignored fellow who goes through the Diamond catalog and lists potential titles of interest.)

Thank you BoingBoing, for doing a better job than the fandom on this!

Concept looks kinda cool, but is ruined by the idealized and objectified women. SO cliched. I mean, hey, you’ve got your Blond, your Asian, and your African ‘Hot Chicks’ (and she of course has to be the ‘unwanted daughter of an African crime lord’. Gag.)- one for each fetish! How sexist and boring. Are there no female ‘Elephant Women’ and the human men who love them? No… of course not. I won’t be picking this up any time soon.