Raising money for surgery for Ghanian man with half-a-face

13 Responses to “Raising money for surgery for Ghanian man with half-a-face”

Half a face, philosophically
    Must, ipso facto, half not be.
    But half the face had go to be
    Vis-à-vis its entity, you see?

It seems that they are ligit. I called the number at the bottom of the article and got Mark Knight on the phone. He heads Global Health Resource in the US. He answered all my questions and showed me how to make a donation. It seems that his surgery is payed for. They are just looking for some funds for his family and medical care once he returns home.

3. Donald Petersen says:

Looks like you can call their U.S. office in Long Beach, CA. Phone number’s at the link. Looks a tad iffy to me, but what do I know?

Do you know where funds should be sent? I did not see anything on the site. I would send some money for this poor young man’s surgery.

No donation link on the page….where to go???

6. Mister44 says:

Hmm – does it mention if he has Neurofibromitosis?

7. Global Health Resource says:

In the last few hours, we have been inundated with requests for information as to where to send donations for Mohammed. For this I would like to say thank you for your concern!

VodaPhone Ghana has agreed to pay for Mohammed’s Surgery in India. There are though additional costs for which we are seeking help.

Mohammed will be in India for at least 4-6 weeks. We are hoping to be able to give his wife and family the financial support they need to sustain themselves during his absence and recovery. Additionally, he will need follow up treatments on returning to Ghana. We would also like to make it possible for someone to accompany Mohammed to India and care for him during his stay.

I personally want to assure you that any money given will be used for the specific purpose of Mohammad’s recovery.

We are also working on many other cases at this time. The biggest obstacle that our desperate patient load faces is the ability to raise money to get the medical treatment they need. With that said, we also wanted to assure you that any funds you donate and that are not used for Mohammad’s treatment, will be allocated to our remaining patient load.

Any amount you wish to donate will be greatly appreciated.
    Please send the Money directly to Global Health resource in Frankfurt Germany. Their bank details are as follows:

Global Health Resource
    Deutsche Bank
    Address: Taunusanlage 12, 60325 FRANKFURT AM MAIN
    Account Number: 8504086
    Bank Code: 500 700 24
    IBAN: DE 695 00 700 240 850 408 600
    Swift: DEUTDEDBFRA

Again, thank you so much for your humanitarian concern. People like Mohammad are suffering all over the world and are in desperate need of affordable medical treatment. This is the ultimate goal of Global Health Resource!

Daniel Beyer – CEO Global Health Resource

I wish the global health resources company didn’t seem like such a medical tourism outfit.

If I didn’t know better I would think this case they took on was more about getting their services advertised as a by product of helping this person.

Regardless, I would have donated but I see nothing on their site about a place to donate.

9. GlenBlank says:

Fortunately for him the mass was benign, but in the process of the surgery his left eye and most of the left side of his face had to be removed.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m not sure ‘benign’ is quite the right word for that tumor.

• Anonymous says:

Well it didn’t mestasize so it is benign technically. The aftermath isn’t so hot though.

This is proof of why regular medical care is so vital, even in the US. I assume he couldn’t afford a doctor until the tumor got so big it threatened his life and then a hospital had to take him on as a charity case.

I can’t imagine anyone who could afford medical care waiting until it got to this point.

• GlenBlank says:

Well it didn’t mestasize so it is benign technically.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. Yes, I am aware of how the words ‘benign’ and ‘malignant’ are used in oncology.

But those words have well-established meanings outside of oncology, too – and my point was that, because of that, ‘benign’ seemed… well, just a tiny bit cognitively dissonant in this particular case – even if the tumor wasn’t a metastatic cancer.

Someone should suggest using Kickstarter to Mr. Issaka or whoever is helping him raise funds. I feel like the Kickstarter community would support this in a second, whatever the cost.