Jazz parade in Molde, Norway to commemorate terrorist victims

13 Responses to “Jazz parade in Molde, Norway to commemorate terrorist victims”

1. Noodle says:

What an incredible way to remember people. Music is a far better expression than the pomp of a traditional ceremony, my hat goes off to those mourning.

Speaking of hats, the man in the top hat looks incredible..

2. The gentleman wearing the top hat and scarf on the right side of the image appears to be Lionel Bastite, drummer of the Treme Brass Band, from New Orleans, Louisiana.  I’m sure he knows he carries with him the thoughts and prayers of everyone from New Orleans, and the US, as folks try to comprehend and come to terms with the recent tragedy.

3. I don’t know how anyone had a dry eye. I was fighting back tears just watching the video. Music is powerful; music can really drive home the reality of a situation.

4. knoxblox says:

I recognize the significance of the priest and Lionel Bastite, but who are the other two at the front of the procession — the man in the brown sportcoat and the young woman in black and red?

• trondmm says:

The woman on the left is the bishop. The man in the middle is the dean, and the girl on the right is the regular parade dancer.

5. Sprayah says:

Sorry to cuss out your prose but there is probably more than
    one city in Norway… Try inserting “of (Oslo?)” at the end of your
    introductory sentence :-)

• Cory Doctorow says:

The city in question is Molde, which is the proper noun in that sentence that the generic “city” refers to. The reason I didn’t have to enumerate an explicit city in that sentence again is because I already had. You see, I *do* know that there are many cities in Norway, because I have visited them on several occasions.

6. johannabanna says:

I’m glad to see so many people in Norway love what’s best about the US.  I have to say that the presence of Lionel Batiste really made it hit home for me.

7. anansi133 says:

Wait, were they terror victims, or terrorist victims? I suppose Glen Beck would call the victims terrorists if they were Hitler Youth….

• Cory Doctorow says:

People are killed by terrorists, not terror. A less ambiguous (and less compact) phrasing would have been “victims of terrorist” but brevity trumps absolute clarity in headlines.

8. vette says:

A clip without the talking can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4qY9xlPiAQ. Video clips of the parade, especially the one I linked to have been on repeat for me these last few days.

9. costeau says:

It’s embeddable, yes. Just edit and paste this code into the article:

10. Philip Rogosky says:

reminds me of Monkmus’ moving Basin Street Blues video: http://youtu.be/kcSFXOzrryE