Kinetic sculpture with 1,200 Matchbox-type cars

21 Responses to “Kinetic sculpture with 1,200 Matchbox-type cars”

1. Alvis says:

Joost & Schulman? That doesn’t make any sense for them. After all, Metropolis II is both cool and not a hoax.

2. Ducc says:

Aw, I want to see a video taken from the car’s perspective!

3. knoxblox says:

How cool is this? Every kid’s dream and I’m sure housecat-approved.

4. Spriggan_Prime says:

I wonder is there is a lubricant applied to the axles? Will the Matchbox car wear out and need to be replaced? Did he consult with engineers at Mattel? Was this build on site over 4 years and if not what a nightmare of logistics of moving and reassembling this will be? Are the cars placed randomly or is there a cryptic message in their placement? Is the message in colors or the models? What does it mean?!

*head explosion*

5. Ryan Sorochan says:

The city of the future is supposed to feature _faster_ cars? Here I was thinking that what large cities really need is more intelligent planning i.e. better infrastructure for bikers and pedestrians, not a way to keep motorized vehicles on the roads. But then I haven’t invested four years of my life building a toy, so I guess I’m a bit biased.

6. KBert says:

Oh, I want to be tiny enough to get behind the wheel!

• willyboy says:

Just go to and drive in LA and you will feel like you are….

• knoxblox says:

Which would also make it possible for you to visit The Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can’t Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too.

7. scifijazznik says:

I love Chris Burden and I can’t wait to take my kid to see this.  And Tortoise and Mahogany were excellent choices for the soundtrack.

8. I like Burden, but his 1999 piece “Airplane factory” promised a lot, a machine making and launching rubber-band powered planes into the Tate Britain gallery, and never worked. It also cost the Tate £500k ($814k). Disappointment isn’t the word for it.

9. Ken Ray says:

jeez, my two year old son is LOVING this…

10. Rob Cruickshank says:

Hopefully, some visitor will slip a VW beetle with a dude nailed to it into the mix.

11. Petzl says:

OK, not being a “hatah.”  I love the concept and I love what he’s created.  However:
    That music drove me crazy.
    The unending “artistic” super zoomed-in shots drove me crazy.  You have to wait till the very end
    to actually see _what_ it is.

• scifijazznik says:

drove me crazy

I see what you did there….

• sdnative1958 says:

Those were the elements that kept me engaged throughout this little short. Are people so “speeded-up” and ADD these days that any semblance of patience is gone forever?

Wow, and someone actually used a “tripod” (look it up) with a fluid head (look that up, too) instead of the crass shaky-cam-passing-itself-off-as-an “immediacy-intimate” tactic. Once one puts down the iText machine for 5 minutes and immerses oneself into the small reveals, graduating music, to the dramatic, final reveal of how vast this sculpture is, it’s quite satisfying. Kudos to all involved!

12. The Kinetic City. Won’t you be my neighbor?”

13. AquaDad18 says:

I can’t wait to see this in the fall.  Amazing!  I loved the overhead shot.  Hopefully, they’ll have the video next to the exhibit, so you can get the first person view of the train (and yeah, it would be cool if they could get a first person view of a car).

I loved Matchbox cars. They were better than Hot Wheels — my opinion.  They rolled better.  I recognized, in the close-ups, some of the ones I had when I was a kid.

I liked the music, but was waiting for them to play some Phillip Glass.