Animated map of VA earthquake tweets, August 23, 2011

15 Responses to “Animated map of VA earthquake tweets, August 23, 2011”

1. Jason Sewell says:

Have we been able to determine the very first person to tweet about the quake? Seems like we could mine the data and discover this person fairly easily.

• AngerMonkey says:

The first person on my feed tweeted about the earthquake  from the DC area and was time stamped about 45 seconds after what USGS called as the official event time. Within 30 seconds, there were two more from DC and then another from NYC. These all beat the little red box on earthquakes.usgs.gov by about 3 minutes.

What? Do other people NOT go immediately to earthquakes.usgs.gov at the first mention of “earthquake?”

2. Eddie Perkins says:

Too bad it didn’t zoom out and include West Coast tweets laughing about a 5.8 making world news.

3. Jay Converse says:

Fatal flaw in animation: no timeline.

4. RobDobbs says:

means nothing without a timeline.

5. Coincidentally, this is the same tweet sequence and intensity that erupted when:
    A) It was erroneously reported that Will and Jada Smith had separated.
    B) Amy Winehouse died.
    C) The Casey Anthony verdict was announced.
    D) Muppets Bert & Ernie were rumored to be getting married.

6. I’m the social media person at my office and have to admit that as I stood in my doorway about 10 seconds into the quake, I wished I had my ipad so I could see the Tweets.  :)

I’m in Charlottesville, VA, about 35 miles from Mineral.

• Ivan Herndon says:

That’s where I’m at. It was interesting seeing Richmond and DC light up just incrementally before C’ville and Lynchburg. And I’m betting that has to do more with population than about when the quake was felt.

7. ridestowe says:

a single person in burlington, vt. lol

8. technobach says:

now, someone has to see if xkcd.com/723 was right

9. Daen de Leon says:

Truly, the Twattering classes …

10. Kind of neat seeing the Tweets roughly mirror the spread of the earthquake’s shockwaves (probably the P “back and forth” compressive waves as, IIRC from my university days, the S “side to side” or shear waves are slower to propagate).

11. kent williams says:

12. mattreynolds42 says:

“Is it true, as XKCD suggested, that the tweets travelled faster than the shock wavefront?”

Yes.  It has been reported that people in NYC recieved the tweets about the earthquake in DC in advance of the shaking being felt in NYC.

13. McGehee says:

I’m pretty sure I saw my location on there. Apparently I’m the only person for miles around who tweeted about the quake.