Mexico: Musica Tribal, Pointy Boots, Los Parranderos and 3BallMTY

32 Responses to “Mexico: Musica Tribal, Pointy Boots, Los Parranderos and 3BallMTY”

1. But the boots make my teeth hurt, is that desired?

2. Palefire says:

See, bell bottoms don’t look so bad now.

3. Teller says:

The person who can mech those boot tips to strike like a rattlesnake will get to date Gong Li and buy the house next door to Bill Gates.

4. Asdfasdf says:

Shoes with toes like that are actually nothing new. In the middle ages it was fashionable to have long toes like that, sometimes so long the wearers had to use cords to tie the shoe toe to their knees so they didn’t trip themselves.  In England, such shoes were called “harlots.”

5. In Leningrad Cowboys go america, the guys end in mexico and some of them liked it so much that they decided to stay. It’s been a while since I saw the movie so I might remeber wrong.

• Tom Forest says:

You do indeed remember correctly, at the end of the film they remained in Mexico and even made the charts. This is how I would have imagined them evolving.

6. efergus3 says:

Reminded me of one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE-maxEOc4Q

7. _Username says:

We used to call normal slightly pointy boots “cockroach killers” because it was believed they would work so good at squashing cockroaches in a corner, these things defy logic…Putos indeed.

8. Antinous / Moderator says:

The Daily Mail ran an article that made it sound as if every man in Mexico was now wearing these boots.

9. bargainoutlet says:

I’m sure the TSA will love these new boots…

10. occlupanid says:

As somebody who wouldn’t touch Daily Mail or Huffpo with a ten meter hyperlink, this is the first I’ve heard about them, thanks to you. I’m positively giddy with mammoth-tusk toe-tappingness!

11. BrotherPower says:

Get Jack Parow in a pair of those and between the boots and the hat he could damn near do a Wonder Wheel.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v

12. puppethead says:

Those are impressive boots, but I do feel a need to point out that Leningrad Cowboys not only did the pointy boots, but added pointy hair.

13. m m says:

They should do a show with Jack Parow

14. m m says:

There ya go baby

15. dculberson says:

Someone should tell 3ball that, to an average American male, his name sounds more like what would roughly translate to “Tres Testiculos.”

16. Mitchell Glaser says:

At around seven and a half minutes into the video, a young kid dancing on stage drops his pants and does the classic “feather boa between the legs” stripper move. It’s only a matter of time before this get combined with pole dancing.

17. Nicky G says:

I… I…

I’m freaking stunned at how insanely awesome this is.

Holy, effing, sheet….

:-O

18. Liliana Varela says:

omfg ……i cannot get over HOW FUCKING AWESOME THAT SOUND IS!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

19. atomic strike says:

what i hear around my block here in monterrey are mostly narco-corridos:

el komander – mafia nueva

20. Kristians Sics says:

As far as I remember Leningrad Cowboys finally went to Mexico

21. Johnny YesNo says:

where can i (and i’m being serious now) buy a pair of these boots. i want to wear them around non-ironically. i think they’re great looking.
    and +1000 for remembering leningrad cowboys

22. Marjo Aho says:

Leningrad Cowboys rocked those already in the early 90′s.

23. Mister44 says:

I’ll throw this out there – as perhaps someone might know.

Several months ago at a hotel I stumbled onto MTV2 (IIRC) that had a video featuring a spanish speaking dual.  It was filmed in black and white, and while the performers looked modern, they rapped while others in traditional dress did traditional dances.  I can’t remember for the life of me the name. I want to say it had something like ‘collective’ or  ‘experiment’ in their name. It might not be from Mexico, but TX or CA. Anyone have a clue wtf i saw?

• wellvis says:

Nortec Collective?

• Mister44 says:

Oh – my GAWD!!  Boing Boing pulls through and pulls what I am talking about out of  the ether.

First they helped me ID the “Howie Scream”.

Now this!

No – it was not the Nortec Collective. But they had a vaguely familiar sound, so I looked for similar groups. THIS is the video I saw and really dug:

Mexican Institute of Sound Instituto Mexicano Del Sonido

The song I heard was “Yo Digo Baila”