Who makes "artist renderings" of the cosmos?

8 Responses to “Who makes "artist renderings" of the cosmos?”

1. bazzargh says:

Do they do solar as well as extrasolar planets? When can we look forward to Pyle’s and Hurt’s Uranus?

Ahem.

2. Jonah Petri says:

I have to say that I never liked these types of renderings too much.  They hide the awesomely cool nature of scientific discovery – show the screen shot from the damn space telescope, pixelation be damned!  99% of the public doesn’t give a crap about science at all, airbrushed planetscapes or no, and IMO the 1% that cares is actually interested in what the scientists found, rather than what an artist is trying to “sell” [sic!].

3. steve white says:

weren’t these erroneous headline grabbing NASA press conferences being criticised for the last few years, I had hoped they were going to stop them.

4. vagabond2 says:

I’ve had the pleasure to work with a number of traditional media space artists, and in fact was a member of the IAAA myself. But, like Jonah, I tend to not like these illustrations myself, though for different reasons. While I agree that they need to be used, I find that too often they are rushed and tend to look like they were lifted from games or the various space simulators that are available.
    Going back to my cave painting now…

5. I’ve always wanted to do space illustration, but have no idea how to ‘break in’ as it were.

6. Daemonworks says:

A friend of mine has done a series of oil paintings of various nebulae and the like.

7. UncaScrooge says:

I would not underestimate the power of these images.  Consider the history of the great Chesley Bonestell.

8. teapot says:

I didn’t notice the lighting problem on the planet until it was pointed out. Then it annoyed me too much.