12 Responses to “WiFi firmware that can detect and route around interference from non-WiFi devices”

1. If it stops my AirTunes from cutting out whenever I reheat my coffee in the microwave, this is big news.

• Guest says:

what would it take for me to convince you to stop reheating your coffee. My primary arguments are that microwaving coffee causes your AirTunes to cut out, wrecks the flavor of coffee, and making coffee one cup at a time is pretty efficient in terms of taste and waste.

• Simon Johnny says:

If its cutting your wifi out, sounds like there is microwaves escaping. Don’t keep your face pressed aganst the glass whilst waiting for your coffee buddy :)

• Guest says:

Microwaves produce around 1000W of broadly tuned RF centered in the 2.4GHz range. FDA acceptible leakage is up to 5 mw/sq cm @ 5 cm from the oven. That won’t cook your brain, but it might raise the noise floor enough to completely jam  your Wi-Fi.

• Simon Johnny says:

While thats true, it doesn’t really matter all that much when the design of microwave ovens centers the megatron on the side of the oven so not to zap people with an open door anyway. Its a moot point, but my original comment was for jest.

• bcsizemo says:

Are they on the same circuit in your house?

I live in a fairly old house with old wiring and not every plug has excellent grounding.  If I plug in a radio and battery charger for my power tools into the same circuit the radio goes to almost complete static (if something is actually charging).  Could just be a grounding issue rather than an interference thing.

But I have seen plenty of cases where it certainly is the microwave causing EM interference as well.

2. Pearfalse says:

And all I can think is, “thank fuck they named it something good (AirShark), and not an incomprehensible mess of uppercase letters (WRFPDTXYZAWMLXI)”. Still, it’s promising tech.

3. Andrew Singleton says:

Only thing i can think of is ‘Can this be incorperated into OpenDDWRT?

4. They do detection, but there is no dynamical adjustment of any protocols due to the interference, and it does not triangulate anything. The authors only suggest this could be done in future implementation.

5. flosofl says:

I’m kind of excited by this (I work in the field). There are enterprise class solutions that do something similar, but using the APs themselves or dedicated wireless sensors(they take spectrum samples every n ms). This will allow a wireless controller switch to adjust the various AP power levels and channels as needed to “heal” coverage gaps. In practice it works… sporadically. Each iteration is just a a little better.

This is a great idea. Rather than dedicated sensors or having AP spend small slices of time not being an AP, you can use the plethora of clients to make measurements. Larger sample data and more points reporting in… you can make much finer and accurate adjustments to your field coverage. I hope they make an API available to hook in some kind of central management.

This is neat stuff.

6. How does this differ from Cisco’s Clean Air technology?