Bookshelf made from books

BookBook Shelf [not-tom.com]

16 Responses to “Bookshelf made from books”

1. Jack Holmes says:

Yo dawg I heard you like books

2. My attempt to create a spice rack based on similar principles has meet with little success so far.

3. lknope says:

That looks awesome but I could never do it.  All those books would be taunting me because I wouldn’t be able to read them or even browse through them.

4. EH says:

Horizontal configuration…too much bookshelf?

5. Wcgorg Inter says:

We need used and thrown away books for our Adult education and Child education projects taking place now in Asia and Africa Please send in your old books contact us if you wish to donate your books at .
    Thank you as you donate.

Derby ..

6. Mister44 says:

It looks cool, it is cool, but man, you’re already hanging, what, 15? 20lb? on that poor wall. And if you added more books on the shelf, it’s another 15-20lb. One would have to make sure to attach it to the studs well.

The one suggestion I have, is on the ends have a book stick UP to act as  – uh – book ends. Literally. I love puns! I didn’t even mean to do that.

• travtastic says:

Actually I’d bet it’s a lot more weight than that. That’s about a file box worth of books, so I’d put it at more like 35-40 pounds. If I was going to make one of those, I’d probably hollow them out.

Edit: I weighed some of my books on a shipping scale, and came out around 1.4 pounds average for ones about that size/volume.

7. Deidzoeb says:

Less weight, less building materials and more room for books on the wall if you have a few hardcover books tipped sideways to form the shelf, maybe with a few smaller books beneath to brace them.

8. Sergei says:

Brilliant.

Now make it super-freaky by putting exactly the same books *on* the shelf.

9. I’m dabbling with a similar concept — a kind of culinary art project — I want to construct a bowl for my famous clam chowder out of some kind of food product. I’ve tried meat and fruit with very little success. I think I’ve run out of ideas…

10. Rose Queen says:

Jim Rosenau of This Into That (http://www.thisintothat.com/gallery_list.php?gallery=17) has been doing this for years, and using fewer books for each shelf, which makes them much lighter.

11. Snig says:

This would be a great place to store your unused planks and brackets.

12. Paul Renault says:

Wow!  This’ll be perfect for storing my wood!

13. bkad says:

Cool! Though, the problem with these ‘re-use the junk books’ projects is they confuse those of us who judge people by the books they have around.

14. Vincent Reynolds says:

This will be perfect for storing my Kindle!