I can't go out tonight, the robot is washing my hair

18 Responses to “I can't go out tonight, the robot is washing my hair”

1. Ramone says:

Like the picture but LOVE the message in this post. It should be read aloud in churches.

2. bcsizemo says:

I know as a guy I’d just shave/buzz my head if I lost fine motor control, but I can see how this would be beneficial to women (or people who place a larger emphasis on their looks).  Hell I already cut my own hair (ie, short) cause I’m to tight to pay someone to do it… and now it’s also cause I’m broke.

While having nice things in life really is nice, it is the little things that make life that much better.  You only really understand when you don’t have them anymore.  Like wearing a cast and not being able to get it wet, shower time sucks.

3. Perizade says:

This is so awesome I want to print it out and share it with my students.

4. mneptok says:

Never mind just fine motor control. Amputees? Those with MS? Getting your fingers massaging your scalp is more than just fingers.

Same with the head-shave idea, bcsizemo. Now we have to get those cah-RAYZEE Japanese to attach shaver heads. Stat!

5. Jason Thaxter says:

I heard the government is giving out millions of dollars to study fruit flies! Can you believe it?

6. All I can think of is getting a toy car caught in my hair when I was younger (19).  I shudder to think of how many motors are in robot hair washers.

7. firefly the great says:

I agree that I HATE the whole “oh, those crazy Japanese” thing … and it’s very easy to dismiss something that you can’t see a need for, but other people would find extremely helpful or practical.

Only one issue with this post: Panasonic is a private company, not a government agency. Whether you think the government should be funding research to help people with mobility issues or not, give some credit where it’s due here.

8. SavvyTennisBalls says:

I feel kind of dumb now for thinking “Wow… do we really need this?” when I first saw the post. Glad I clicked on it.

9. Matthew Domiteaux says:

There is something slightly xenophobic about investing so much in creating robots to do menial tasks rather than importing labor to preform basic tasks like washing the elderly and disabled.

• Angela says:

As a disabled person, I would much rather have the independence to do this sort of thing myself (with the help of a robot) over relying on another person. Where you see it as something frivolous, I see it as a way to retain as much of my normal life as I can when I lose more use of my body. Relying on other people for basic things is one of the shittier parts of being disabled that able-bodied people seem to overlook.

• Grumblefish says:

Alternatively, there’s also something slightly unpleasant about thinking you can always import some foreigner to do the menial tasks nobody in your country wants to.

10. Alex Felltir Sunderland says:

Only upon rescanning this due to somewhere else being down did I see the real message in this story.

Which is kind of apt.

11. kimbutgar says:

I would love to have a robot blow dry my curly hair straight.

12. Reed Millar says:

China is spending 33 Billion on wind and Solar, we spend 2.5 and obsess over the  projects that fail.

13. robotnik says:

Hey, cousin, what’s up?

14. cdh1971 says:

This is a great idea. As Angela said earlier, it allows people the dignity of washing their own hair. Yes – this would be ‘washing their own hair’ in the same way using a hair dryer is drying one’s own hair, or using pre-packaged mac & cheese is ‘making mac & cheese’ and etcetera.

P.S.

In b4 the  ‘but does it give a happy ending’  post(s)

15. Stay_Sane_Inside_Insanity says:

Typo: “as you’re being lead to believe”

“led”

16. Pan Daffodil says:

I’m an academic librarian, and I will definitely be using this article when I teach evaluation of sources. Thank you, Maggie!