Above, a rare letter by Walt Disney, featured on Letters of Note, a neat blog that gathers and sorts fascinating letters, postcards, telegrams, faxes, and memos. Shaun Usher, the guy who runs Letters of Note, wants to produce a book.
A Letters of Note book. A beautifully bound, satisfyingly weighty book filled with many of the website's best letters, plus a selection previously unseen. It will be lovingly made using thick, uncoated paper — the perfect material on which to print reproductions of such amazing correspondence. As with this website, each image will be accompanied by an introduction and a faithful transcription.
The letter collection includes:
• Hunter S. Thompson’s furious memo to a film executive that starts 'Listen, you lazy bitch…'
• Steve Martin’s 'personalised' form letter to a fan
• The letter of a Kamikaze pilot to his two young children, written the night before his mission
• A 9th century form letter from China used to apologise for having drunk too much at a dinner party
• A memo about some of the surprising candidates for Star Trek: The next generation
William Safire’s memo containing a speech for president Nixon to deliver if the Apollo 11 mission failed and the astronauts were lost.
• A heartbreaking series of letters from a 31 year-old women with dementia desperately trying to contact her husband from a German asylum in 1909
• Aldous Huxley's wife Laura giving a moving account of her husband’s death to his brother Julian in 1963
• A fan letter from Stanley Kubrick to Ingmar Bergman in 1960
• A letter from Albert Einstein to a theologian describing God as a 'human weakness'
• The remarkably polite correspondence between Marge Simpson and former First Lady, Barbara Bush
There's a wonderful "pitch video" here at Unbound. Read more about the project, and pledge your support if you, like me, dig it.
Like Walt says in the letter above, don't hesitate! Do it now. Incidentally, the Disney letter above sold for $247,800.00 in May of this year. I don't know how much the Letters of Note book will sell for, but it'll be less than that.
Timothy Ellis’ galaxy spanning space opera continues in Hero at the Gates! We’re 9 damn books in and the central plot is finally about to get past its prelude! I’ve really enjoyed this massive story. 9 novels ago Jon Hunter was a wet behind the ears kid on board his uncle’s space trader. Now he’s […]
See sample pages from this book at Wink. Chihuly on Fire by Henry Adams (author) and Dale Chihuly (artist) Chihuly Workshop 2016, 212 pages, 9.3 x 12.1 x 0.9 inches $40 Buy a copy on Amazon For several decades now, art critics and casual admirers alike have talked about Dale Chihuly’s art in terms of […]
See sample pages from this book at Wink. The Gutsy Girl: Escapades for Your Life of Epic Adventure by Caroline Paul Bloomsbury USA 2016, 160 pages, 6.4 x 8.6 x 0.7 inches $12 Buy a copy on Amazon If ever there was a book I wished was around when I was little, it’s The Gutsy […]
Much of what goes into creating an amazing photo happens in the digital darkroom. Here’s your chance to master all things photo editing: the Ultimate Adobe Photo Editing Bundle, now available in the Boing Boing Store for just $29.99.Across 8 courses and over 41 hours of intensive instruction, you’ll learn the fundamentals of Adobe’s suite of photo […]
3D printers are hot, but they’re also pricey. While the prospect of cranking out everything we can dream up is enticing, cost is often one factor that keeps us from jumping onto the 3D printing train.Now, thanks to M3D, that doesn’t have to be the case. You can now get its flagship 3D printer–plus four reels of filaments–for just […]
It’s no secret that technology is changing the way we all work—but it’s also transforming the way we play. The games of today look nothing like those of 10 or even 20 years ago: these days it’s all about mobile and 3D. And now you can learn to design 3D mobile games with the Intro to Unity 3D Game […]