Aloha From Hell: Sandman Slim goes back to Hell and kicks more ass

10 Responses to “Aloha From Hell: Sandman Slim goes back to Hell and kicks more ass”

1. Kat Gamisu says:

Sounds like Ken Follet

2. bardfinn says:

Previously on BoingBoing:

– he is a very good writer. I carry Butcher Bird with me and re-read it every three months or so.

3. Joranium says:

Shit, another book I HAVE to read…

Anyone who enjoys these might also like this one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Lucifer_(2003_novel)A bit less ass-kicking but infinitely more sarcastic / cynical observations about humanity by an irreverent, coked up, pissed off fallen angel.

4. scifijazznik says:

I was totally skeptical of Kadrey’s hodge-podge of hard boiled and horror going into it and I was completely and delightfully wrong.  The dude’s a great writer and spins a fun yarn.  I actually thought he topped Sandman Slim with Kill the Dead, so I can’t wait to read this one.

5. Jim Nelson says:

There are very few books I want to make into a movie – this series would contain a fair portion of them. Guillermo Del Toro and Timur Bekmambetov would do an incredible job, but you would *have* to make it R rated to keep any of the flavor alive, and there’s no way you could get a proper budget for it.

Le sigh.

6. Blinkers says:

Actually Stark spent 11 years in hell, not 20.

7. David Seaver says:

I’m glad to hear that this book lives up to the first two. Also, it occurs to me that once I pick up a copy, it will be the second book on my shelves which shares its title with a Cramps song. The other book, of course, being Nancy Collins’ Sunglasses After Dark.

8. Halloween_Jack says:

I loved Butcher Bird, and just got Sandman Slim; I’m looking forward to working my way through the rest of the series. His ultrashort stories on Infinite Matrix were the bomb.

9. Phyrkrakr says:

I’ve read the first two and loved them both, so I’ll definitely be getting this one.  Kadrey’s fantasy elements seem to be half invention and half mainstream, best I can tell, with him playing by the rules on vampires, zombies, and werewolves, then going completely off-script with any of the nasties we actually spend time with.  His universe is such a rough-and-ready kind of place, it’s easy to just gloss over the details on what a particular baddie is, besides a pre-corpse.

10. Gunn says:

Richard’s stories (from 2001-2003) are still up on the Infinite Matrix, if anyone wants to read them: