9 Responses to “Great old letters: 19th-c. Smithsonian Institution Secty. on "superior excellence" of a good cup of coffee”

1. You know what I think? I think it’s reenactment time!

2. Mya Lewis says:

This is great, Xeni. Thanks. Fresh beans, and a painstaking process. Those are the only things that have always mattered in the making of coffee.

@taratigerbrown:disqus I’m with you. My grandpop looks _exactly_ like Langley. I’ll just get a cape for him, and we’ve got that part covered.

@BoingBoing:disqus This new software is exceedingly slow. It takes nearly a minute just the load the comments for a new thread. And my CPU spikes when I do it. Please, either fix it, or go back to the good-enough days. Please.

3. Eric Boyd says:

Fresh beans from the right source! Those are all some lovely Indonesian coffees, dark and rich and earthy… Menado is Sulawesi, Ceylon is Sri Lanka, which no longer produces coffee, and the last two are “Java, plus coffee from a specific farm on Java.”

4. Flashman says:

What Instagram filter is that?

5. Donald Petersen says:

Sir either needs a larger writing-desk, or a bit less clutter thereon.  Odd that his portraitist demanded he don his most formal raiment, and then had him sit at the corner of his écritoire and make like he’s scribbling his Trader Joe’s grocery list.

6. Tom Tjarks says:

Suddenly I’m reminded of Charlie Stross’ collection of stories called ‘Toast’.  One of the stories spoke of a secret society that worshipped the bean.

7. SedanChair says:

We devotees of the French press are continually vindicated. Let the grounds sit in the hot water for a while.

8. Guest says:

Happy Mutants of days gone by. Ahhhh, good company.