Infrared portraits of scientists and staff in Antarctica

15 Responses to “Infrared portraits of scientists and staff in Antarctica”

1. Derek Pegritz says:

I WANT TO GO TO ANTARCTICA SO BAD. Too bad my damned fibromyalgia and a host of other physical ailments prettymuch precludes me of ever being any use there….Damnit. Maybe when I go posthuman and can port myself to another body–a mechanical one that can handle the temps–I’ll get there.

2. Mark Dow says:

Everyone’s hot in Antarctica.

3. t3kna2007 says:

I like the one where she’s wearing a helmet of snow.  How did she get that thing to stay up there, anyway?  Must be special Antarctica snow-physics.

4. Benny Profane says:

Is there a link for this? I think I sort of know someone there, and I wanna try to find their portrait.

5. spacemunky says:

Jesus, they look just like us. We’ll have to test their blood.

6. Antinous / Moderator says:

How come you can’t click on individual images to see bigger pictures?

7. sam says:

Whats the deal with the screen-cap?

8. NutsToMe says:

Way to use Print Screen there.

I hate it when people leave UI elements in their graphics. Especially the MS Word squiggles. For Gods sake, learn how to properly use Photoshop or something!

9. Sofia Ortiz says:

Hey, there’s my former flatmate! (: It’s kind of awesome to get updates from 3rd parties interested in this stuff.

10. If it was infrared, you wouldn’t see the photos.

11. caddywumpus says:

If you ever get the chance to work in Antarctica, do it. It’s a magical place. (Only some people had dyed their hair blue.)

12. Iain Marcks says:

awesome! i just did a story about infrared photography for American Cinematographer. the DP explained how infrared light exposes vascular patterns beneath the skin, which required makeup artists to apply sunblock underneath their makeup.

13. Something strange about those images, normally snow turns out pitch black in IR. This being said Antarctica is a great place to go and they are always looking for new people. I’ve spent 3 years there: http://www.gdargaud.net/Antarctica/