10 Responses to “Guatemala: at long last, ex-dictator Rios Montt in court over possible genocide charges”

1. phisrow says:

I’m guessing that the US head of state won’t be urging everyone to just “look forward, not backward” in this particular case?

2. Navin_Johnson says:

Too bad Reagan can’t be dug up to join him.

3. Thingumbob says:

Why no mention about Rios Montt’s buddies?  Oliver North, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell and Rev. Moon?

4. Nat Kramer says:

I wanted to give a shout to independent photojournalist James Rodriguez at http://www.mimundo.org/  - who has been delivering amazing on-the-ground photo essays for years and years out of many countries, but particularly Guatemala. Fantastic stuff worthy of being passed around.

5. Thanks for this welcome news. Rios Montt was himself a fundamentalist Christian. This is what mad fundamentalists do when in power, kill hundreds of thousands. Whether Christian, Jewish or Muslim; fundamentalists are bloody killers, as history has repeatedly demonstrated. So here’s a question: Why on earth are they tolerated?

6. earthychicano says:

Wow. Add this to the list of things I thought I’d never see in my lifetime. Pinochet arrested, check. A U.S. president publicly apologize for our involvement in Guatemala, check. President Lula, check. Mubarak overthrown,check. Black U.S. president, check. And now Argentina and Brazil are going after their war criminals. Now all I need is Justice to come knocking’ on Dick Cheney’s door.

7. bjacques says:

I remember him from the Friendly Dictators Trading Cards from the 1980s!

8. manut says:

It’s a great step in the quest for Justice in my country, Guatemala. To see a man that had all the power and manipulated the strings for so many years face a trial is a milestone. But lets hope that the guerrilla leaders are also prosecuted in the same manner for their crimes. There was more than one party involved in the war.