11 Responses to “Chief EU ACTA sponsor quits in disgust at lack of democratic fundamentals in global copyright treaty”

1. RyonRyon says:

see? its all made up of individuals, I commend you for standing up, sir.

2. What a splendid, principled, action. Such candour is rare at the highest levels, and for him to resign too, on a matter of principle. Good work,sir.

3. SoItBegins says:

Huzzah!

4. ultranaut says:

I miss the European Dream.

5. Ipo says:

I feel like Kader Arif is showing that he has what it takes to be given higher responsibility duties by us, the peoples.

• DewiMorgan says:

Ayup. I would vote for Mr Arif for pretty much any elected position.

But what will *happen* is that we never see him in public service again, as he’ll become a pariah.

I hope I’m wrong.

6. Andrew Singleton says:

That metal on metal clanging sound you’re hearing? That’s just this guy’s balls hitting eachother while walking away from this mess.

Bravo Sir.

7. IronEdithKidd says:

Hope this goes some distance to encourage EU parliamentarians to loudly condemn this treaty and collectively vote against it.

Unless they, too, hate free speech.

8. stumo says:

I want to write to my MEP to complain about ACTA, in the hope of getting something done. I’ve found it difficult to find good sources for arguments – what specifically should I be complaining about & where can I link to to back up my assertions. A lot of the stuff seems to be over a year old, and so I’m worried may no longer be (or come across as) current.  Does anyone have any good starting points? It would be great to find similar quality counter arguments as were found for SOPA etc.

9. Paul Renault says:

Direct link to the blog post where he announces that he refuses to participate in this masquerade:

10. This is Greta news, but I’d like to point out some things that are rather unclear in the article.
    Mr. Arid is not a Eurocrat, or an official in charge of ACTA as stated in the article.
    Mr. Arid is the rapporteur on this matter. A rapporteur is the member of the European Parliament that is looking over a specific piece of legislation and steers it through parliament. Every legislation has its rapporteur. Think of it as a ‘sponsor’.

So, Mr. Arid did not quit his job. He stays a member of the European parliament, but he just said ‘sorry, this is unacceptable and I don’t want any part of it’ to the legislation he was supposed to help pass.
    This is amazing news, and shows that the best hope for stopping ACTA lies at the European parliament.

Full disclosure: unlike Mr. Arid I am a Eurocrat (an official of the European parliament) and I spent the last day trying to keep the parliament running under the onslaught of the anonymous ddos. There are really better ways to fight ACTA.