6 Responses to “MEP who resigned ACTA role explains how the treaty will result in invasive border searches of personal devices, privacy-invading dissemination of public's personal information”

1. thecleaninglady says:

It would probably also result in strong encryption entering the mass market for personal electronics.

And then being outlawed.

2. Eniena says:

The lack of transparency on this act is just scary. The fact that governments are snubbing their own constituents just to get it passed is just plain sinister.

There is no way that this bill bodes well for any of us given these circumstances.

3. purple-stater says:

How do border guards tell the difference between an mp3 that I “downloaded illegally” and one that I made at home from my own CD?

• Baldhead says:

based on what I’ve seen of the various laws about this, you would somehow have to prove ownership of the file- something quite impossible to do. The psycho0 copyright crowd don’t feel the need to prove ownership of copyrights, but rather feel that you should have ot prove your innocence.

4. yeahyeahwhtever says:

After finally getting over the shock of what ACTA does, I then had to marvel and be horrified at a system that is willing to pass this into law.

5. taras says:

The guy who is replacing him sez:

“I want the Parliament to have a facts-based discussion and not a debate around myths. That is why I want to have an open debate with all actors concerned …

“ACTA should not change existing European law in this area …

“I will not be rushed and will be open and transparent in my deliberations.”

We’ll see… meanwhile, here’s his Twitter.

Oh, and he voted against defining ‘commercial scale’ in ACTA. So, that’s promising. :(