Stephen Wolfram analyzes 20 years of his own keystroke activity

11 Responses to “Stephen Wolfram analyzes 20 years of his own keystroke activity”

1. deeznuts says:

We can only hope that when he takes over the world he is a benevolent dictator.

2. Considering how self-obsessed he was when I met him in 2000, I’m not startled that he’s been collecting data like this.

3. nosehat says:

I really like this idea of automatically logging and graphing seemingly trivial details of your own life, to help you identify patterns in your own behaviour and learn from them.  This can enable a kind of self-awareness that would probably be impossible without computer technology, and can be really valuable to an individual.  It’s data-driven computer-aided introspection.

Of course, this level of insight into a person can be really valuable to a stranger as well, a stranger with motives other than simple curiosity or awareness.  Facebook and Google et. al. are good examples of individuals putting these tools of analysis into a stranger’s hands, and  giving them access to giant piles of accumulated data about themselves which they themselves don’t have have ready access to.

4. Robert says:

This is certainly a novel type of knowledge.

5. awjt says:

Was he clawed on the forehead by a bear, or a wolf, perhaps?  What are the 4 parallel divots?

6. Guest says:

perhaps companies like Facebook can now show data on your everyday life like that as well.

7. ethanwc says:

There’s a great graphic designer that releases annual  reports about himself.

8. Evan G. says:

I can’t wait to see his graph analyzing his navel.

9. jheiss says:

333,333(ish) emails in 23 years?  14,500 emails a year?  40 a day.  Wow.  Since 1998 I’ve sent 30159 (plus or minus a few).  (I lost all prior data in 1998.)  So I’m running about 2150 a year.  I sure thought I sent a decent amount of email, I can’t imagine how he gets anything else done.

• Stephen Rice says:

He’s always had quite a high level position so I imagine quite a few of his emails look like short requests for updates from employees etc. It’s still a phenomenal amount, though.