Sunglass frames made from whiskey barrels

16 Responses to “Sunglass frames made from whiskey barrels”

1. GawainLavers says:

For a little extra, they’ll put a bird on it.

2. Brainspore says:

I can’t afford a pair of Whiskey Sunglasses so I guess I’ll just have to stick to Beer Goggles.

3. Brett Myers says:

Loads of old wine, port, whiskey and bourbon barrels are being reused by beer brewers to age some pretty fantastic beers in.

4. cubby96 says:

I just bought the Shwood zebrawood Canby sunglasses two weeks ago.  They are light and comfortable.  The shape/style is similar to RayBan Wayfarers, but they are expensive at ~$175.  The wood on the inside of the nosepiece is a little rough, if you’re looking for an excuse not to buy, but I’m sure either repeated wear or light sanding will take care of that.  They do draw a lot of attention, so don’t buy them if you’re trying to be incognito.   On the plus side, they seem pretty sturdy and provide good function in their intended use.  The brown polarized lenses haven’t scratched on me yet, despite a bit of (unintentional) rough handling.

5. CountZero says:

I’ve checked out their glasses before, and I would have loved a pair of these, despite the extravagant price, but they’re sold out already. Buggerit!

6. Jonathan Roberts says:

It’s a cool idea, but putting the glasses in a wooden crate is a bit OTT, isn’t it?

Based in Portland, Oregon …

Aah, I think I get it now.

7. copperwatt says:

Hipster Bait Alert!

8. Brad H. says:

I destroyed my pair of Shwoods in less than two months by merely dropping them. I’m not usually a dunce when it comes to my gear, but they’re stupendously brittle when compared to a pair of wood prescription glasses I had, the difference being that those were lacquered.

• cubby96 says:

In your considered opinion, should I lacquer my pair?  I have the tools, knowledge and inclination to do so if it will make a significant difference.

• Brad H. says:

A light lacquer could help. Epoxy is even better but is more likely to ruin the aesthetics. Look into it, because where it is most likely to make first contact with the ground when dropped (bottom of lens mount) is the most brittle part of the design.

9. beardkiller says:

It has been a while since I’ve wanted something so bad. I’m glad they are sold out…

10. FreakCitySF says:

I just had a friend die from liver failure as a direct result of chronic drinking. Kinda tired of the hipster marketing on alcohol.

11. And these guys do the sale with old skateboards ! http://www.vuerichb.com/en/

12. Ipo says:

I imagine they smell nice.