Thor's goat made out of scrap metal

12 Responses to “Thor's goat made out of scrap metal”

1. chellberty says:

Now turn it into a motorcycle and you can be baaaaaahhed to the bone.

2. francoisroux says:

Those tools don’t look like scrap metal to me(they are now probably), complete wastage if you ask me.

Good sculpture though.

3. t3kna2007 says:

A while back, there was a fairly major traveling art exhibit (Picasso, maybe?) that included a made-out-of-metal-scraps goat sculpture. It was roughly life-sized, but the back end featured a vulvar opening made out of the cut-off lid of a large metal can, folded almost in half.  This was completely out of proportion to the rest of the sculpture.  I took that as a ribald expression of I don’t give a damn, I’m having fun here on the part of the sculptor; it was hilarious to see it in the context of a pristine art museum. Essence of goat.

4. thequickbrownfox says:

Yes, it was Picasso who made the goat sculpture from discarded metal and ceramic pieces. He started the project in 1948.

5. Westfakia says:

That big pipe wrench on the rear hindquarter could hardly be considered “Scrap Crap”. Same with the pliers, screwdriver and wrenches used elsewhere in the piece. If this is the artists idea of recycling, they have it all wrong.

6. Jud Turner says:

No functional tools were injured in the making of this sculpture. The pipe wrench people are so concerned about has weld spatter in the threads and is unusable as a tool anymore. Screwdrivers had damage to heads, etc.

• francoisroux says:

Phew, thanks for filling us in. I hate to see tools go to waste, but if they are broken then they might as well become part of something beautiful!

7. Tal says:

Awesome!  Keep up the great work Jud.

8. Beanolini says:

We have a whole bunch of scrap metal goats round here. They look a lot less shiny than the one above, especially now they’ve had 20 years to rust.

9. smotherbrother says:

The real question is, if you were a goat made out of scrap metal, would you eat yourself?

10. We support local artists whenever we can, but I had to laugh when I saw Thor’s goat made out of scrap metal —

We found this fantastic artisan who makes these incredible animal sculptures out of found metals. Tom runs the neighborhood repair shop in Glen Head and has a wonderful eye.

We have this big whimsical Toucan of his — but what makes it such a great piece are the materials. The feathers are blades from old Cadillac engine fans, the eyes are recycled light house lenses, and the rest are assorted rebar and other scraps.

He just did a 7 foot Rhino and its awesome ! I’ll ask him if I can post some photos — his work is great

11. Mac Suibhne says:

There’s one of these rusting outside the Climb Max store in Portland, OR.  Same Eugene artist, maybe?