Hark! A Vagrant: the book

By Cory Doctorow

Somehow, I missed last year's publication of the long-overdue Hark! A Vagrant collection, which puts Kate Beaton's fantastic webcomic between covers. Beaton is a Canadian who studied history but plumped for the glamorous life of a cartoonist instead. We're all richer for it, as she captures the true spirit of history with her mixture of biting sarcasm, spot-on comic timing, and skeptical take on history's heroes. Click through for a look at some of my favorite Beaton toons, and get a sense of why this book is a completely awesome treasury of snark, history and science.

Hark! A Vagrant

Published 7:09 am Fri, Mar 23, 2012

, , , , , ,

About the Author

I write books. My latest are: a YA graphic novel called In Real Life (with Jen Wang); a nonfiction book about the arts and the Internet called Information Doesn't Want to Be Free: Laws for the Internet Age (with introductions by Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer) and a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

9 Responses to “Hark! A Vagrant: the book”

1. Mordicai says:

Superbia fantastico.

2. snowmentality says:

Seriously, everyone — if you don’t already read “Hark, A Vagrant” you should start now. It’s sort of like XKCD for history and literature. Kate Beaton makes me cry laughing on a regular basis.

Some of my all-time favorites include:
    Canadian Stereotype Comics (Kate Beaton is Canadian)
    Queen Bess at Tilbury
    Dracula
    Great Gatsbys

Oh, just go read the whole website. Your life will be better with “Hark, a Vagrant” in it.

• billstewart says:

Yup.  You’ll lose a day or so clicking through all the panels, but it will have been worth it.

• jimh says:

Complete surrender is the only way; just start at the beginning. You have no idea how funny the Bronte sisters, Chopin and Liszt, Nancy Drew, Andrew Jackson, and a strangely overweight Shetland pony can be.

And, buy the book! It’s very satisfying to own and display for others.

3. Labbit says:

AW YISS!

4. Niki Horton says:

Sidenote! Katie Beaton’s Fat Pony was featured in an episode of Adventure Time, ‘cuz all the cool kids hang out together.