Finding a 42-foot-long snake (fossil)

25 Responses to “Finding a 42-foot-long snake (fossil)”

1. donovan acree says:

Even Marlin Perkins would have thought twice about tangling with this beast. http://youtu.be/T8s_g2v9M1g

2. I would like to respectfully withdraw my comment from yesterday re:  “In Heaven Everything is Fine” and use that here instead.

Ye Gods!

3. Brainspore says:

Damn you meddling kids, we closed off the Chamber of Secrets for a reason.

4. Glen Able says:

Random, but pleasing,  facts:

These kind of snakes are known as “boids”.
    Boa constrictor appears to be the only living creature which has the same common name and scientific (“latin”) name.
    Titanoboa is as long as seven Kevin Bacons glued together.

• chenille says:

Not so! Lots of things get called by the scientific name: gorilla, bison, alligator, danio, mantis, chrysanthemum, amoeba. If you insist on the full species name it’s not common, but still happens with some plants like aloe vera, and then it’s hard to even think of extinct cases beyond tyrannosaurus rex.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I’m pretty sure that boas have a common name in the local language.

• Brainspore says:

I’m pretty sure that boas have a common name in the local language.

I thought that WAS the local language… don’t most boas live in Latin America?

• timquinn says:

‘boids’ meaning ‘like a boa,’ I presume. Though it gives me visions of huge schools of the things flying through the air.

5. GawainLavers says:

Is that John Voight’s legs sticking out of its mouth?

6. IronEdithKidd says:

Coming soon to Syfy; Titanoboa v. Dinocroc.

Or did they already do that one?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Would it kill them to drop a Titanoboa on Klendathu for a change?

• IronEdithKidd says:

“The Lord spaketh unto the entertainers ‘thine 6th night fare must sucketh’.  And so it was.” – Somewhere in the bible.

7. Titanoboa -a 50ft robotic snake created by vancouver based art and engineering team at eatART. Stay tuned for more awesomeness being developed by these guys over the coming years.

8. Cicada Mania says:

Its bowel movements must have been the size of… me!

9. willeswood says:

OR the most elaborate april fools joke ever?

10. I’d ask for a unicorn chaser, but I’m afraid the snake would eat it!

11. BombBlastLightingWaltz says:

“Struth! ‘e was a big bugger!”

12. JhmL says:

Indiana Jones should’ve fought it.

13. bumpngrindcore says:

Christ, I usually love snakes but that fella’s gonna be in my nightmares tonight!