Meet the 25-year-old behind Kickstarter’s $8 Million Pebble watch campaign

8 Responses to “Meet the 25-year-old behind Kickstarter’s $8 Million Pebble watch campaign”

1. penguinchris says:

This looks like something that could have secured funding via traditional means (venture capital or however else it works), from a Palo Alto group (probably Stanford grads).

But I’m not snarking… I think it’s awesome that they did it this way instead. I hope this is the beginning of a trend for crowd sourcing, where advanced products like this can be brought to market in an easier way, lowering the barrier of entry for high-tech invention.

And while I don’t like the physical design of the watch, the functionality sounds great. I’d definitely consider getting one even in its current design, but I hope they come out with different case designs for future versions (I think actually it’s excellent design, just not to my taste for something I’d wear).

2. Ushao says:

I really love this thing and have been wanting to get one. I just can’t afford to fund it at the moment so it’ll have to wait until I have some extra money. Maybe there will be some other styles out by then as well though I do like the current design.

On a side note, I’d like to add that for those of us who don’t buy iThings it IS Android compatible. That tends to get pushed off to the side whenever products with an “i” in front get mentioned.

3. Kimmo says:

It’s about bloody time we got wrist computers!

Pretty damn tempted to grab one of these when they come out, but I’ll prolly hold back for v2 cause I’d prefer something less bulky, but at least it makes Sony-Ericsson’s i’m Watch look like a huge joke…

4. I just use my phone as a watch… but something like that could make me start wearing a wristwatch again!

5. MarcVader says:

Finally made a pledge yesterday; it’s such a drool-inducing must-have. Resistance was utterly futile.

It just looks like such a good product, something that really does what technology always promises: make ones life better, easier. Crowdsourced hardware ftw! What a stark contrast to the usual designed-by-marketing crap gadgets.

6. Jesse Yules says:

Shouldn’t we expect something like this in the new line of iPods? I think the nano is practically there. They basically just need to add wifi and some software.

7. cservant says:

There’s a power limitation of 7 days.  Most traditional watch designers would reject that.  They would favor something that would last around a year.  If you’re suggesting wifi expect to last around a day or heavier watch.  wifi/bluetooth are power draining designs.  They were never intended for low power applications.  Same for GPS.

“wrist computers” or watches of this type isn’t a new idea.  Remember the Casio calculator watches in the 80s?  They sold well, but fell into a trend trap.  Timex came up with datalink watches in the late 90s.  I own a few of those.  They didn’t sell that well, but fell into a niche market.  Then there’s the Suunto watches.  These guys however stuck to sport oriented market, so you get mainly GPS, heart rate monitors, etc, designs.  Suuntos sold well enough thanks to outdoor types.  There’s also probably a dozen other watch companies I can’t think of right now that did sold watches that fall into this category.

With that in mind, I’m not surprised these guys have a hard time finding VC.  Watches like this are a big risk.  2nd to that is, the design is depended on phone.    Any change would result in changes to the watch.  Another minus for the investing crowd.  I think most investors saw this as a niche product and nothing more.That said,  kudos for them to bring this idea out.  This is innovation.

However, as a watch, it’s not my type.  I’d rather spend 3 times more on a Casio that can sync automatically via radio and no need to worry about charging since it’s solar powered.