Nasty men's rights ad banned

12 Responses to “Nasty men's rights ad banned”

1. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

It looks like the ASA managed to do the right thing, somewhat to my surprise:

They correctly noted that comments are made by posters, rather than Official Statements of The Management and they didn’t cave on the potentially-hot-button sharpied baby…

2. jaytkay says:

Ahhh, men’s rights.

Where guys join together to complain about their restraining orders.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

And the best way to get rid of that restraining order is to get a sharpie and a baby and act as crazy as possible.

3. Flashman says:

These guys are in all likelihood just pathetic, lager-sozzled deadbeats, although they do seem to have sharpened their message since the days of sending paunchy blokes in superhero costumes up onto the walls of British tourist attractions:

• retchdog says:

and the first thought that came to mind was that he was sniffing his armpits.

• fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

They manage to spoil it by insinuating that the crackdown is somehow aimed at them, rather than at everybody who might offend The Corporate Sponsors; but the Olympics, and London’s horribly supine reaction to the IOC, has given them one thing to be unequivocally right about…

Many of their more recent posters note that their right to protest in public about their grievances has been rather roughly treated by the flurry of enabling legislation cravenly passed to ensure a tranquil and profitable Olympics. They could be the British Union of Fascists, and they’d still be correct about how loathsome that development is.

4. Max Van says:

ok- I know Boing Boing isn’t exactly moderated for this, but, as a single father, I’m finding the comments on this thread already massively offensive. I have been called every name mentioned here, and all the things in the ad, and all because my ex wife didn’t get custody, mostly due to her prison conviction. I could protest that I’m not a deadbeat, I never beat my wife, I never forced sex with anyone, and I take care of my son, but I know where that protest ends- it’s like feeding trolls. You get into it, you lose. So, I’m just going to ask, please, can there be a little consideration that perhaps mothers are humans, subject to as many character faults as fathers can be, so maybe, just maybe they can be wrong as well.

• hardwarejunkie9 says:

Good point. I’m sorry that you have to deal with that. There can be some pretty heavy attitudes against men as well, but most of the groups that are really “fighting” them are really only adding to the problem.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

And you appear to have responded to the situation in a sane, mature, articulate fashion.  These gentlemen didn’t.  I would hope that you wouldn’t want to identify yourself with them.

5. tré says:

The real tragedy is that male people are victims of patriarchy, too. I for one am disgusted to live in a society that has told me for 20 years and will tell me for another 60- years that I have rights to other peoples’ bodies, that I am inherently better and deserve more, but can only access this through taking active part in maintaining this hierarchy through violence of one sort or another. I feel like I have the right to live without that. Where’s my men’s rights group?

6. Sheryl says:

Anyone who has followed the “men’s rights movement” has noticed that they take any criticism of any man as criticism of all men and the statement of the statistical likelihood of men committing certain crimes as vilifying all men. The prime example of this is rape, the fact that a terrifyingly large number of women are raped by men is taken to be proof that all men are presumed to be rapists. No one is surprised that people working convenience stores are suspicious of folks coming in late at night, they don’t know who might be a robber, but women being wary of strange men in secluded or empty areas are labeling all men as potential rapists instead of just being cautious in a vulnerable location. Chances are this was the type of discussion going on on Mumsnet surrounding protecting their children (male and female) and not actual labeling of all men as evil.