Public street-bookshelves in Berlin made from hollow logs

16 Responses to “Public street-bookshelves in Berlin made from hollow logs”

1. Ender Wiggin says:

This is awesome. i wish people in america still read, so that i could do something like this with my dead tree collection.

• Ted Johnson says:

I wish people in America still capitalized.

Where I live, there’s a thriving economy of used books at a local bookstore. They won’t take anything, but for the books they won’t take, there’s the nonprofit thrift store.

This thing with the hollowed-out trees is a marketing gimmick — an interesting interdisciplinary marketing gimmick — but it’s not as though they’ve cured a disease.

2. timquinn says:

just out of frame is the free firewood rack made from old books.

3. BombBlastLightingWaltz says:

No need for listing as the books are already logged. Ty, ty, tyvm.

4. zombiebob says:

Fucking. Awesome.

5. zombiebob says:

So is it  a momento mori for logs?

6. Them Berliners. Such an awesome place.

7. Lemoutan says:

Must annoy the hell out of content owners who want to be paid for every new reading. Expect prosecutions and injunctions soon. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

8. Well thanks, now all I can think of is the delicious cake in the café right next to it.

9. Given that they’re quintillions of euros in debt, I think Berliners need to cut back on frivolities like hollow-tree book shelf and implement some austerity measures.

10. Shelagh Pepper says:

I tried a similar book exchange about 25 years ago at a local university. We started with several hundred books. After about 2 weeks, there were no books left.

11. Jorpho says:

Acht, the books are already spilling out into the street.  It’s going to get messy, and then it’s just going to get messier.

12. Amelia_G says:

Baufachfrau e.V.! In addition to such a poetically rhyming name, their website says they’re an education nonprofit for women construction workers or women builders. “Ideentischlerei” = “ideas cabinet making” or “ideas joinery,” but the word for cabinetmaker literally means “tabler” (table maker) so it sounds like bringing ideas to the table as well. Awesome.

13. Cluisanna says:

As far as I can see, it says on the website that the project went on from 2006 to 2008, so this is quite old, sadly.