John Kricfalusi, creator of Ren and Stimpy, Kickstarts a cartoon

34 Responses to “John Kricfalusi, creator of Ren and Stimpy, Kickstarts a cartoon”

1. Boundegar says:

I don’t give a damn about Ren and Stimpy, but I really like this business model.  Also, that hair!

2. Like Illuminati, can I contribute against?

:D Kidding! I know, there are a lot of Ren and Stimpy fans… but I absolutely detested the drawing style and the insanity. Probably for the same reason I despise Jim Carrey. I’m just more of a South Park / Family Guy / Futurama person.

•  So, you like things that suck?

• AwesomeRobot says:

I’m a Futurama fan as much as the next guy, but there’s a big difference between and old school cartoon and this moden animation. Modern cartoons don’t exaggerate nearly enough, I mean they’re cartoons! Exaggerate!

• Jorpho says:

I’ve read about Kricfalusi’s ideas on animation and production before, and they all sound perfectly levelheaded, progressive, reasonable, and worthy of wide adoption – but the guy is sick, twisted, and insane, and not in a good way.  I even knew it as a young’un scratching my head in befuddlement at The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse.

3. Stefan Jones says:

Sweet Jebus!

My mom was into the label-less can deal. Also, bread from those dusty, sad outlet stores where bakeries sell bread that they pulled in from groceries when the new stock went in.

As often as not, the label-free cans had some kind of vegetable, or beans. Mom would tailor a meal around them.

Sometimes the mystery cans contained dog food. When that happened the can went to a neighbor who had a dog.

My parents are a little less cheapskate now-a-days. But it paid off. They have an A-frame in the Adirondacks for when it gets too hot in the Catskills, and a vacation trailer in Florida to winter in.

I carry on the tradition by buying dented cans from the 50% off shelf at Fred Meyer and Safeway. I don’t plan on getting an A-frame. I figure I’ll need every penny to pay for health care, so I don’t end up on the Soylent Green truck.

4. JiveBowie says:

I love John K. His voice was so gruff in this video that it tickled my hand as I watched it on my Kindle Fire. If there’s ever a live action Venture Bros. movie, he should play Jonas Venture Sr.

5. relawson says:

Aww! I SO wanted it to be Powdered Toast Man!!!

6. wardenclyffe says:

Fans of independent, high quality animation should also check out this kickstarter campaign to help fund season 1 of the action/comedy series Scottish Ninjas.  http://kck.st/LVzDDQ  They have posted some minisodes on their YouTube channel: http://youtu.be/7CQsWg-y3zk

• gamelab2021 says:

They need to really work on their High Quality and original idea portion of the pitch. This is Student level work.

7. noah django says:

at around 7.20, you get to see him draw a couple frames.  pretty sweet.

8. nvlady says:

I never liked Ren and Stimpy either, but I wish him luck on his Kickstarter venture, and longevity on his amazingly amazing 70s vibe!

9. Nicky G says:

How anyone can not like Ren & Stimpy is totally freaking beyond me. I mean come on, the Nerve Ending Fairy? I still quiver when thinking about that. Uuuuugh!!! Hahahaha! Pure awesome.

10. Future Daydream says:

Back in the late 90′s there was a whole series (about 5 or 6 episodes if I remember correctly) with this character done in Shockwave.

Edit: It was actually 8 episodes http://web.archive.org/web/20060110232431/http://www.retecool.com/spumco/

11. Thomas says:

I can’t believe I’ve never seen Mr. Kricfalusi in the flesh before. He’s even better than his cartoons!

12. Adam Brown says:

I’m so happy this is on bOingbOing. I’ve always had a soft spot for John.K, I love his blog where he rips into modern cartoons for being so generic. Apparently Billy West hates him with a fiery passion, but I’ve never specifically heard why?

• johnnylloydrollins says:

I think it was the reverse… John hates billy for having continued ren and stimpy after nickelodeon had fired John and most of his staff.

13. JohnH says:

Oh my god, he’s finally going to make Cans Without Labels!  I saw the long YouTube video where he pitches the story, in its entirety, to a ComicCon audience, in which the question is asked “Is that face?” and we meed a character called Donald Bastard.  This will be sublime on the screen.

14. JohnH says:

(Er, “Is that a face?” is the question asked.)

15. penguinchris says:

That was way more entertaining than I could have possibly imagined, especially when he showed the animation process near the end.

He looks like a young Kirk Douglas too. I guess I was expecting a weird-looking dude for some reason but this guy is quite attractive, and stylish to boot.

I didn’t know anything about him but I did watch Ren & Stimpy as a kid and I enjoy his work that’s sometimes posted on BB. This video explains a lot, now that I know he grew up with a weird and frugal dad in Canada.

16. James Mason says:

“Brand names are a commie scam” is oxymoronic.  Brand names epitomize capitalism.  However expecting complete logical consistency from any human being is asking a bit much, really.

17. This really made my day, thanks!

18. John Donohoe says:

Love or hate him, he has a unique style that wasn’t around prior to him (as much as a style that pays homage to retro UPA/Tex Avery wasnt around).   I totally dig his work.

Its my first time seeing John K as well.  Does anyone else thing he look like the lost love child of Bob Guccione?

19. I loved Ren and Stimpy so much when I was growing up, maybe that little bit extra because so many people hated it. It reaffirmed my love for classical music and brutal slapstick, I also appreciated the golden era/retro Fisher Price style branding of the commercials for Blammo’s “Log” and “Don’t Whizz on the Electric Fence”. Bravo to John K for a) not being dead and b) still making stuff, particularly with that angry all-American guy who I can still picture massaging Ren’s protruding and diseased gums. I don’t like to hear that Billy West didn’t get on with him, especially when they collaborated for such a long time.