FCC: Verizon must allow tethering apps

12 Responses to “FCC: Verizon must allow tethering apps”

1. tiredofit says:

Could I get a refund, please?

2. schadenfreudisch says:

thank goodness.  it was one of the things i hated about my verizon service.

3. perch says:

you’ve always been able to tether, you just had to root your phone first.

when are we going to get unlocked bootloaders on all phones?

• Glizbane says:

Actually, Verizon has blocked all non authorized tethering for a while now, even those that required root access.

4. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

So, Big Red paid 1.25 million as part of their voluntary settlement of their clear violation of the terms of the block C spectrum auction…

At $20/month, that is only 62,500 subscriber-months worth of penalty. FCC Auction 73 occurred in early 2008… http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/default.htm?job=auction_factsheet&id=73

I’m starting to get this strange sense that Verizon just got a wink and a gentle caress on the wrist here…

5. You’ve been able to download at least one free mobile hotspot app for at least a few months now. FoxFi shows up in my Play Store (and I’m a Verizon user). Even if it didn’t, you could always tether without additional fees, although prior to ICS you had to use an app from the Play Store. (this is all without rooting, by the way)

6. show me says:

I wonder if this will apply to Sprint, too, since they also require a $20/month extra fee to tether.

7. Palomino says:

My Sprint purchased phone has specific instructions on how to tether. Tethering was also in their advertisement for the phone.

What’s more strange, I COULD tether while I was still in my 30 day satisfaction guarantee window. On the 32 day my phone updated, and I couldn’t tether. I’ve tried downloading apps, rooting the phone too, no go.

Why doesn’t my internet service provider SUE my cellular provider? Why is this a one way street? Why is Sprint forcing me to use my Centurylink account but I can’t use my Sprint phone as a modem?

8. Matthew Cunningham says:

I am sure that the only change that we are likely to see is a new class of “Open Access” phones to satisfy the FCC requirements which will of course cost the full $700 price tag.

9. Many higginbothams died to bring us this information.

10. donovan acree says:

So the treasury gets the settlement. What about those people who had been paying the fee? Why don’t they see compensation, bill credit, … something? Was it the treasury who was harmed by the wrongful charge for a service they agreed not to charge for?