Cool ceramic jewelry for scientists, skeptics, and fossil lovers

12 Responses to “Cool ceramic jewelry for scientists, skeptics, and fossil lovers”

1. Mister44 says:

Ooooo if only I had my fancy trilobite book I could tell you the species on the bracelet.

• Rich Keller says:

At first, I thought it was Marella splendens, the ’57 Chevy of the Burgess Shale lagerstatte. Marella’s “curb feelers” (librigena?) are much more attenuated, though. I was just reading about trilobites last week.

Oh, do skeptics also have to be empiricists? I don’t have the wherewithal to confirm a lot of that particle physics stuff on my own.

2. That’s funny; I was just thinking about her today. I happened to drive past her old store location in the NoHo Arts District on my way to Dark Delicacies Bookstore.

3. Neuron says:

About a year ago I wandered into a local rock shop and bought for $5 a polished fossil of the nautiloid Orthoceras much like these:

http://www.caveofthemounds.com/images/Fossilized%20Orthoceras%20Specimen%209945035.JPGI carry it in my pants pocket every day. The fossil is about 400 million years old. Occasionally I pull it out and look at just to remind myself of how old the earth is, how old life is. It helps maintain perspective. Orthoceras fossils are widely available for purchase.

4. Amelia_G says:

Amy is wonderful! She’s very clear-thinking and reliably sound in discussion.

Amy Davis Roth and mezzosoprano Hai-Ting Chinn (and everyone else) were delightful at a gender and skepticism panel last month, for which I can’t find a video.

5. Theranthrope says:

Needs more of the ATHEIST’S NIGHTMARE: the Banana!

Look at it, just look at it:

6. Stephanie Zvan says:

Theranthrope, Amy has done banana pendants. If you want one and can’t find one, ask. She’s very good about made to order.

7. Emily Dietle says:

Oh, I HAVE that bracelet! It was a gift from a dear friend. Plus, nearly a dozen of her necklaces, wearing one today, in fact! It reads, “You Can Make a Difference!” …and you CAN! :)

8. liquidstar says:

Trilobytes just look cool.  But does this mean we can market geode bracelets to Darwin deniers?

9. occlupanid says:

Our booths were on opposite sides at Maker Faire one year, and I’ve seen her at SkeptiCal as well. Her ceramic work is inventive and stylish, and she is awesome.  Also, trilobites are so rockin’ even Robyn Hitchcock sings about them! http://youtu.be/GITreOQOYX0

10. colleenmorgan says:

Fossils are not archaeological. :-/

11. I bought the tree of life or “Ode to Darwin” pendant, it’s gorgeous! I’ll buy more. Finally, some nice jewelry for the scientist and geeks among us :-)