Explorer Ed Stafford chronicles deadly journey of Walking the Amazon (excerpt)

11 Responses to “Explorer Ed Stafford chronicles deadly journey of Walking the Amazon (excerpt)”

1. bklynchris says:

I love travel literature regarding places I will never go, will check it out, esp. when “near mental breakdowns” are suggested. It will put my complaining about taking the Q train out of Brooklyn on any given weekday morning in perspective. In fact, this is what I will read when on that train : D!

I suppose it would be too much to expect it to be as hilarious as Redmon O’Hanlon’s: “In Trouble Again: A Journey Between the Orinoco and the Amazon (1988)”?  Actually, given the excerpts maybe not…

2. terrymct says:

“They watched us wolf down the first plate, then the second, then the third.”

Because you were eating all the family’s food!  Good grief, I hope they did some work for the family or did something to give them benefit beyond buying some provisions from them.

3. valiant66 says:

He’s not the first to walk the length of the Amazon. My schoolmate Dennison Berwick did it in the ’80′s and wrote about it in “Amazon”, published in 1990. I guess (A) he didn’t know what he was doing was all that special, and (B) he didn’t have a go0d publicist.

“Dennison Berwick spent nine months travelling down the 4000 miles of the Amazon and this book describes, among other things, how his life was threatened by one tribal chieftain, while he was adopted by another.

4. Shaggy says:

How was his journey deadly? Am I missing something here?

• bklynchris says:

If Stafford describes it in anywhere near as harrowing as O’Hanlon did, there are any number of ways of eating it.

5. baccaruda says:

First thing I thought of is “Running The Amazon” by Joe Kane. Pick it up, it’s a great read. Looking forward to the walking version here :p

6. Eric Hunt says:

Stranger in the Forest: On foot across Borneo by Eric Hansen is another good first-person account of living and traveling in a tropical rainforest, this time the oldest one on the planet, the jungle of Borneo.

7. blueelm says:

Wow… different Ed. I’m kind of relieved.