Dredging: how the hell does that work?

20 Responses to “Dredging: how the hell does that work?”

1. Yep says:

I have a symposium on the human acceleration of sediments every day. In my bathroom. Hey-ooooooh!

2. BonzoDog1 says:

The quick answer: It doesn’t work.

• KBert says:

Not so fast; stay tuned for the latest Dredge Report.

• stillcantfightthedite says:

The long answer: For removing built up sediments from erosion it can serve as a temporary solution, but unless the source of these sediments is eliminated or mitigated, future dredging is inevitable.

• Tim Maly says:

It’s worse than inevitable. Most of the current dredge techniques used today end up accelerating the erosive forces that led to the build up in the first place. Dredging begets more dredging more often.

3. Paul Renault says:

Dredging is also amongst the most destructive ways to fish.

I don’t eat scallops, for this reason.  Delicious scallops…

• Yes because dragging a dredge across the top of sandy bottoms dents the grains of sand or something.

• Paul Renault says:

I have a friend who dives for a living.  He tells me that you can always tell where a sea bottom has been dragged/dredged for scallops: 100 ft-wide swaths of nothing.  No rocks, no vegetation, no fish – just barren floor.

4. OK, the video posted that purports to introduce “dredging, its landscapes, and some of the fascinating technologies that we use to manage it” is one minute 26 seconds long, and pretty much content-free. Also, the Dredgefest NYC URL is a 404.

5. Lobster says:

Here you guys go, dredging up THAT again…

6. robdobbs says:

Was this narrated by Brad Pitt?

7. OtherMichael says:

I was at the 2011 DREDGEFEST . I think.

I thought I saw Jane’s Additiction playing on stage at one point, but after a few bottles of JD and a couple hundred thousand tons of silty-clay, it’s hard to remember much.

8. bjacques says:

What? No mention of Bagger 288??

(Bagger means dredger in German and Dutch)