Sulu talks

25 Responses to “Sulu talks”

1. Shibi_SF says:

I love George Takei.  Love LOVE him!

2. To give Shatner the benefit of the doubt, perhaps it was merely a mad cow senior moment.

Besides, there are worse things than obliviousness….

• oldtaku says:

Shatner doesn’t really care about anything that’s not Shatner. Guy is amazingly self-absorbed. Which, as you say, is still better than homophobia.

• vonbobo says:

SHATNER! Doesn’t really care… about Anything… that’s not… SHATNER! Guy IS…. amazingly…. self-absorbed-which… as you say?… is still better than…. homophobia???

3. vonbobo says:

It’s inspiring to see a human with a greater purpose, understands what it is, and is directly on target…. and also isn’t so serious that he forgets to laugh. Full speed ahead indeed!

4. semiotix says:

Aww, Chekov was even Sulu’s wingman in real life! That’s as heartwarming as mulled Romulan ale.

If you’ll excuse me, I need to dry my eyes, and then update my slashfic to reflect this more tender, nuanced relationship I now see between the two.

• niktemadur says:

That’s as heartwarming as mulled Romulan ale.

Really?  What I see is a Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy at Starfleet!

5. Jellodyne says:

If Takai posted on BoingBoing I wouldn’t still need Facebook.

6. Didn’t George Takei refuse to invite William Shatner to his wedding?  It was a pretty public snub.

• Brainspore says:

I’d read earlier that Shatner was the only cast member who wasn’t cool with Takei being gay, but if George says “oblivious” I’ll take him at his word.

7. Ethan Taliesin Houser says:

Takai is GAY???????

8. Glenn says:

I’m hoping Mr Takei revises his autobiography, To the Stars. It’s due!

9. ldobe says:

Anyone else read the interview excerpt with Takei’s luxuriant baritone ringing in their head?  God, I could listen to that man read my IP logs, and hang on his every syllable.

10. Alan Olsen says:

I saw George Takai in 1978. It was pretty obvious he was gay even back then. He did not keep it much of a secret.

• Brainspore says:

Keep in mind that this was back in the days when Liberace was ostensibly “straight” too. Entertainers didn’t really have to fool anyone as long as they could maintain plausible deniability.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Or Little Richard. Who still hasn’t dealt with it.

All hail Alan Sues, Paul Lynde and Charles Nelson Reilly for not even bothering with plausible deniability.

11. niktemadur says:

Here’s a nasty little image that popped into my head a few months back and it’s just stuck there.

Cap’n Kirk:  “Mr Sulu”
    Sulu (turning to face Kirk):  “Yes, Captain?”
    Cap’n Kirk blows a big fat belch at Sulu’s face, point-blank range, while exhaling “Spoooooooock!”

12. Hmm…it seems like the two Trek actors with the biggest web following were both drivers in the front seats: George Takai and Wil Wheaton.

13. chanho says:

Wow, somehow I never connected Sulu piloting a starship with Asians driving cars.