Glaucus atlanticus: For once, the Internet is not lying to you

33 Responses to “Glaucus atlanticus: For once, the Internet is not lying to you”

1. Antinous / Moderator says:

Depressingly, it’s not the size of an airplane.

2. We get them on our local beach :) Pity this post didn’t lead with a better photo, they are stunning.

3. Eric Heupel says:

Stunning in both touch and beauty. Lots of other beauties out there too.  Check out the Mollusc Playing Cards for more – http://sciencedecks.com/blog/2010/11/12/molluscan-playing-cards/

4. snagglepuss says:

Wait till Jim Cameron sees this. He’ll cast a CGI animation of it as a lead character for one of the “Avatar” sequels.

5. I thought it was a Final Fantasy creature as I was scrolling through

6. jere7my says:

FYI, for those who are familiar with the impossibly lifelike Blaschka glass flowers at the Harvard Museum of Natural History: The Blaschkas did mollusks and cnidarians before they turned to flowers, and their Glaucus atlanticus is currently on display in the mollusk mini-exhibit. (In case you can’t see one in person.)

7. bobo obobo says:

Sorry to be Pedantic Panda here, but Portuguese Men o’War are Cnidarians, but not jellyfish.

8. benher says:

These things are such fractal awesomeness incarnate!

9. “… things that look pretty … will probably kill you.”
    *panickedly runs off to buy flowers for apparently dangerous significant other*

10. Jen Onymous says:

I want a Ribofunk-style gene splice to replace my hair with pretty teal wavy man-o-war filled toxin tentacles from this guy.

11. savagela says:

Nudibranches?  Why has no-one mentioned the sex life of Nudibranches!
    In general Nudibranches are hermaphrodites, and they have a sharp, stinging penises. When two nudibranches meet they each try to sting and deposit sperm under their opponents skin without getting stung.  The sperm gets encapsulated but tries to migrate to the ovary to do some fertilization. Whoever gets fertilized has to go through the whole egg-developing process and that’s always so exhausting. I heard a lecture a few years back at Machine Project in LA by a hilarious marine biologist. He said  when he’s collecting specimens and puts a bunch of these together in a bucket, they go into a frenzy of stinging. They form a “fuck-ball,” he said, stinging and stinging and writhing around, and when they’re through they all  nap.

12. TheKaz1969 says:

Aww… it’s a baby Dialga!

13. Maggie, your cat pictures suck.

14. vetnoir says:

Nudibranches are all by themselves a good reason to get SCUBA certified.  There are tons of different ones and they are awesome to look at.  Which brings me to…

“don’t touch things that look pretty. Because they will probably kill you.”
    I got my SCUBA cert while living in Singapore and diving in Malaysia and Indonesia.  One of the first things I was taught is “Don’t mess with anything really pretty or really ugly because you will probably die.”

15. Frank Diekman says:

Has a name like a comic book interstellar villain, looks like it should be miles across flying through space.