A website for elaborately handmade barrister's wigs

23 Responses to “A website for elaborately handmade barrister's wigs”

1. Dean Putney says:

I don’t mean to judge, but these wigs are way out of order.

2. I’m going to order 2 of these fabulous wigs.

3. Funk Daddy says:

Like teardrops on an OG, each row of curls represents a death sentence rendered or a debtor indentured for life. Judge Life!, I dare say!

4. LaylaSV says:

My favorite thing about their website is the section that allows you to compare the quality of LegalWigs’ wigs to those of their competitors. My extreme legal wig ignorance makes deciphering the detailed, close up photos an utter mystery. They all look equally ridiculous, tortuously itchy and totally metal to me.

• jerwin says:

They’re required of the legal professions in some countries. The best you can hope for is a wig that looks neat, is constructed to reduce itchiness to the absolute minimum, and contains no metal. The picture showed the wigs in a comparatively good light, though the embroidery looked a bit wonky.
      If you were required to wear a robe everyday, would you prefer polyester, or silk?

5. theophrastvs says:

Do they have a selection of the black handkerchief thing they put on their heads when they declare a death sentence?

• twianto says:

Since they are based in a jurisdiction that doesn’t have the death penalty and probably mostly sell their stuff to civilized countries my guess is that no, death sentences don’t factor into the design of their no doubt excellent wares.

6. C W says:

I wish there was a cosplay company where I could get I could get wigs similar to Antoinette’s Atelier. This barrister site looks great, but way too pricey.

7. timquinn says:

Just imagine, in some places on earth these are considered dignified and are subject to all sorts of subtle hierarchical distinctions. We are a weird bunch.

8. Halloween_Jack says:

For some reason, I can just imagine a couple of barristers unabashedly stroking each others’ wigs, murmuring, “I tell you, that weave is tight.”

9. Narmitaj says:

Ob MontyPython – the camp judges behind the scenes at a courtroom. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVt1EY896cY

10. BabsonTask says:

The rug on the stand is for a judge. The short ones are for the barristers. The rugs look good compared to the barnets that some beaks sport in real life.

11. awjt says:

If I lived in England, and if I were a barrister, I’d just fold me an origami wig. How lame to be forced to wear this shit to comply with some custom.

12. Zadaz says:

Wait, the Mongolian ponies get their name embroidered inside of the wig? That beats the hell out of “Inspected by #27″.

13. tw1515tw says:

Although it does seem crazy in the 21st Century to be dressing up in 18th Century garb, I did hear one semi-reasonable explanation for putting on a wig  - for anonymity purposes. Previously convicted criminals are meant to be less likely to recognize judges and barristers in the street and attack them. Maybe they should wear Nacho Libro masks instead – it would be cheaper and they’d look less silly.

• Or be lit from below like when General Zod was pronounced, “Guilty!”

• Antinous / Moderator says:

It doesn’t seem crazy to me. Most people’s costume style now seems to be a race to see who can look the dullest. The 18th century was the height of personal style.

• Donald Petersen says:

I can’t get past accidentally landing on Law & Order on BBC America, when the second half of each episode suddenly turns into the end of Pink Floyd–The Wall.

14. Florian Hess says:

Ha, the “judge” is my boss and the shot was done for Getty Images! How funny is that! :D
    Not sure the wig we used is from them though…