17 Responses to “Alaskan baby walrus seeks bukkit in New York”

1. Henry Pootel says:

I’m glad they resisted the urge to name that little fella’ Ackbar, despite that being the first thing that came to my mind…

2. Garrett Eaton says:

Geez. They didn’t even leave the Stranded Marine Animal Hotline up long enough for me to put it in my phone.

3. Pobol Pobotrol says:

Why take a baby walrus to New York?

Oh, to put him on display. :-(

• Syndaryl says:

Does that zoo have more room in it’s Walrus area?
      Does that zoo have a population that needs a walrus of that sex to maintain a natural social group?
      Does that zoo have an experienced foster-mother walrus or other walrus fostering plan?
      Does that zoo have a breeding program and need more genetic diversity?

• Pobol Pobotrol says:

Maybe, but you’d think they would use domesticated zoo bred Walrus for that.
        I was hoping they’d been rescued with a view to freeing them again when they were grown.

• Syndaryl says:

Only if you can. There’s no use releasing them if the result of being raised by a human leaves them without the survival skills they need to live in the wild – that just is a cruel way of killing them.

And BTW: Zoo animals are not domesticated. Many aren’t even tamed, so watch your fingers.

EDIT: Release is GOOD! It’s just it’s not always that simple.

• Pobol Pobotrol says:

Of course this is true. I’d hope they don’t have too much fun giving them too many bukkits and cuddly monkeys and general nannying about, and instead give them a giant ice cube to live on with live food and an adventure fun slide.

• Seriously says:

Instead of bitching about people who have dedicated their lives to helping these animals. Why don’t you get off the internet and do something? Its not exactly The Cove.

• CLamb says:

It’s just not the same thing as a Major League Baseball team.

4. Matt Haney says:

I want one.  Sure, I live in an apartment, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have room for a walrus, right?

5. Kenny Cross says:

I never imagined in my life I would say this but: Damn those walruses are CUTE! Good to see them being cared for.

6. Jenny C says:

I met these babies when they were picked up in Barrow!  Evidently they need social contact, so the Barrow vet staff, and I imagine staff at the Sealife Center, were tasked with cuddling them.