Weller Pyropen

12 Responses to “Weller Pyropen”

1. Andrew Golding says:

I’ve been using the Portasol Superpro 125 for half a year and I love that thing.  I use it for electrics and making control cables or even small brazing jobs.

2. s2redux says:

I like gas irons for outdoor work, but for bench/indoors work I use a pair of Iso Tip 7700 Cordless Electric irons, since work doesn’t have to stop to re-fill the wall outlet.

3. Paul Renault says:

I also have the Portasol SuperPro – also made by Weller.   (It’s a little too hot for delicate electronics, but great for the jobs where more heat is required.)

It’s an obviously much better gas-powered soldering iron than the Pyropen: when the cap in on, I can pretend it’s a turned-off light saber.

I could only find one photo on the ‘Net where the iron is closed.  So, I hope this is fair use:

4. Tim Escobedo says:

Sheesh… $125? Weller makes a good enough butane one for, like, $15 at Frys. I use it all the time.

• What I came to say. This one may be better, but is it ten times better?

• Andrew Golding says:

It depends on how you intend to use it.  I bought mine specifically for making control cables after borrowing a Snap-On branded iron pretty much identical to the Portasol to fix a broken clutch cable, and I am continuing to use the hell out of it for a variety of tasks.

• Sparrow says:

If you use a soldering iron frequently enough, then, yes, it is ten times better. It isn’t uncommon to spend three times as much (or more) on a professional soldering station. For simple jobs, the Fry’s model might get the job done, just like a doctor might be able to remove your appendix with a Swiss Army knife if it were enough of an emergency.

5. technogeekagain says:

Sounds like it’s running at what I would consider an unreasonably high temperature. I’m a firm believer that you can do what you want with power leads but nothing higher than about 25W-uncontrolled equivalent gets near semiconductors.

6. jimkirk says:

I have an old Radio Shack branded unit similar to this.  Soldering tips, hot knife, hot air and torch.  Very nice.  At least two decades old & still works great.

7. francoisroux says:

I’m using a Dremel VersaTip equivalent at a much lower price and probably the same quality. Dremel don’t habitually make crap tools. It’s got a bunch of attachments and tips too.

I bought it 2 years ago for around R499, which is about $58.