15 Responses to “No, really: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D. is really happening, and Ming-Na is in it!”

1. grimc says:

Whedon finally casts an Asian in a speaking role? This truly is the End of Days.

• pupdog says:

So Dichen Lachman didn’t count? Funny, I always thought Nepal was in Asia…

• grimc says:

You’re right, my bad. A half-Asian actress was a good half-step towards making up for creating an entire universe where everybody can speak Mandarin Chinese but god forbid you ever see a Chinese person speaking it.

• Tribune says:

I always found that weird about Firefly. I assumed that it might have be some sort of plot point if the series had gone on.

• grimc says:

Unfortunately, IIRC, Whedon’s explanation was simply that his vision for Firefly didn’t include Asians.

I really like Whedon’s work. He’s obviously a gifted writer and director. But this is a bad blind spot of his, and he deserves any needling he gets about it.

• CliffordS says:

I wonder if Maurissa Tancharoen, who is Thai, had more influence in that matter.

• Tynam says:

…her performance singing “Nobody’s Asian in the Movies” on the commentary musical for Dr. Horrible does at least gently suggest her interest.

2. trackofalljades says:

I’m probably behind on my geek news regarding the TV show, was it verified at some point that it was in fact taking place after the attack depicted in The Avengers? I thought it was going to show a bunch of prequel stories that predated all the recent Marvel movies. I was’t aware anyone had officially said that Coulson’s inclusion actually meant he survived being “killed” by Loki on the helicarrier?

3. You do hope they work in some actual Marvel Universe content, including superheroes into this show.  Otherwise, it’ll just look like a remake of The Man From UNCLE.