How to: Eat a triceratops

17 Responses to “How to: Eat a triceratops”

1. I would have guessed they ripped in through the cloaca the way I once saw a blue jay eating a dead snake.

2. sota767 says:

Tyrannosaurus Rex still had an awful time trying to paint the walls in the living room.

3. Nash Rambler says:

I found myself wondering what triceratops might’ve tasted like, but some weird, dark, primeval-lizard part of my brain said “sort of a beefy chicken.  Quite yummy, actually.”

• AlexG55 says:

Not sure if alligator or ostrich would be our closest approximation to the taste of dinosaur among extant species that people eat. I’m kind of leaning towards ostrich- though the difference between triceratops and ostrich might be like the difference between beef and venison…

• BrianOman says:

My first response to the whole situation was the same, mostly. I found myself imagining what it would be like to dig into some triceratops and, strangely, some part of me ‘knew’ that it was delightful.

4. robcat2075 says:

When I read these stories i also think about the movies where one scientist is desperately jealous of another and wonder if these excess fossils that are sitting in storage were collected just to keep anyone else from making a discovery.

5. AJE says:

The research was not published in Nature, it was presented at a meeting. Nature printed a blurb on it- there is a huge difference.

6. MrWoods says:

You can view this horrific scene at the Milwaukee Public Museum

7. Robert says:

So… T. Rex = Decapasaur?

8. Thad says:

The title says, “Triceratops For Dinner:” did you mean Eat Like a Triceratops?

I was expecting recipes!

9. Some interesting questions are afaik not answered to date. Like T-Rex hands couldn’t really help with the meal. So when he rips a piece of flesh out of the prey, what then? Head down if he opens his mouth again the piece lodged in his mouth would fall out. So he has to rise his head up to facilitate the chunk going in rather than going out? So I can see a bird doing that, I just have slight difficulty seeing how this works well if you’re big and bulky and heavy. Everything gets slower relatively to body size as you scale it up. So what takes a chicken like 0.1 seconds to pick up a worm, would say take a T-Rex like 20 seconds…

Talking about slow-food :)