Ye olde hurricane analysis

22 Responses to “Ye olde hurricane analysis”

1. Nylund says:

it’s not so much that f’s are pronounced like s, but that the old-timey way to write the “long s” looks quite a bit like an f (but not exactly the same).

2. timquinn says:

When I read thif my laughing waf fo fudden and violent that it waf impoffible to ftop.

3. GregS says:

The long s or cursive s was used at the beginning and middle of words, while the short s was used at the ends of words. The integral sign used in calculus is another form of the long s. The printed form of the long s looked much like an f, but it was nevertheless an s and was pronounced as such. The use of the long s died out around 1800.

4. ldobe says:

Obligatory Futurama:
    That’s not an “f” it’s an “s” you ftupid fhithead!

• carlogesualdodivenosa says:

That’s not an “f” it’s an “s” you ftupid fhithead!

Or Robert Graves, from years earlier:

It’s an old story—f’s for s’s—
      But good enough for them, the suckers.

5. Teirhan says:

I came here to comment about a long-s was not an f, and found that two other people had already made this correction before me.  Good show.

6. cegev says:

Interestingly, it used to be possible to look at the prevalence of long s through different eras in Google’s Ngram Viewer, as a long s is almost always seen by OCR as an f, but looking now, it seems many of them are being correctly recognized!?

7. ChicagoD says:

Here’s hoping that the mods delete EVERY. SINGLE. COMMENT. about the “s” that looks like an “f.” Maggie asked a specific questions (“I’m curious whether any meteorology fans and experts out there can offer insight on that.”) and Maggie’s posts are actually helpful and thoughtful, so maybe someone can actually address the question instead of showing off their ability to look at Wikipedia.

8. foobar says:

I knew about the not-f s’s, but chose to read it with a lisp anyway.

9. It’s SO much more fun to read the long-S’s (apostrophe added for clarification’s sake) as F’s!

10. dustindriver says:

Maybe it’s just really late, but putting “ye olde” in front of anything makes me laugh uncontrollably. Like Wil Wheaton says: Being easily amused. A gift!

11. teapot says: