The Churkendoose: Part Chicken, Turkey, Duck and Goose 1946 book

30 Responses to “The Churkendoose: Part Chicken, Turkey, Duck and Goose 1946 book”

1. gwailo_joe says:

Since when do ANY of those birds have a pink fleshy protrusion growing out the back of their collective skulls?

The Churkendoose is an Abomination.

• Stefan Jones says:

The flesh protrusion is actually an atavistic fin, last expressed in this bloodline 300 million years ago.

With that much genetic engineering, you’ve got to expect some hideous deformities to creep in.

• PurpleWyrm says:

It’s obviously part chicken, part turkey, part duck, part goose and part cassowary

2. Stefan Jones says:

“Washable cover.” Because the sheer horror of the Churkendoose led many tots to lose their Maypo.

3. Jake0748 says:

Is this like the turducken that John Madden was always yapping about?

4. BarBarSeven says:

It might taste good, but is it kosher?

5. Ashen Victor says:

Part Chicken, Turkey, Duck and Goose, all delicious.

6. Chentzilla says:

There’s a Soviet cartoon (also children’s picture book) about a goose who exchanged various body parts with other birds, until he turned into an even more bizarre chimera:

7. purple-stater says:

My mother still has a copy laying about.  Ah, memories.   :-)

8. woid says:

I will swear, with no supporting evidence, that there is a 78rpm kiddie record of a song called “The Churkendoose” based on this book (or is it the other way around?) — with a lyric something like “Part chicken, turkey, duck and goose… Look out, it’s the Churkendoose.”

Or so a deeply buried, possibly misfiring synapse tells me.

9. Mandana Khoshnevisan says:

GASP! I have been trying to remember what this book was called or even if it existed, for YEARS! And there it is! I think my mom, or maybe her brother, must have owned it, and I read it at grandma’s house? I know I’ve read it lots of times, but it was somewhere in the recesses of my  … and every time someone talks about a turducken, it comes to mind … but it’s not exactly a hilarious anecdote to relate to others if one can’t remember what it is or whether it even exists.

Thank you, Boingboing. Thank you.

10. CastanhasDoPara says:

Quachurkendooswanstritchemu

That makes 8. I invite you to beat that..

Also Shrabster, that is all.

11. Heevee Lister says:

I didn’t have the book, but as a kid I had (and may still have somewhere) the Ray Bolger record.  (My parents weren’t perfect, but they got some things right.)

The Churkendoose always talks in verse.  He can’t walk, but he can tap dance.  The Rooster is the voice of norms and authority, attacking the intruder, the stranger, the other: “What good are you?”

The Churkendoose wonders, “Can’t the chicken, turkey, duck, and goose, live in peace with the Churkendoose?  Does the pear tree say to the apple tree, ‘I hate you ’cause you’re not like me’?  Does the green grass ask the sky so blue, ‘I’m green, why aren’t you green too’?   … They’re different, yet they get along, and no one seems to think it’s wrong  … Can’t you like me just because I’m me?”

In an era when American racism was institutional, The Churkendoose  quietly promoted tolerance.  It gently suggested that we look beyond external appearances to the real person inside.  We could do with a little more kids’ entertainment like that today.

PS – Yes, the Churkendoose was ugly.  So was Lederer and Burdick’s Ugly American.   Bonus points for the BBer who’s actually read that 1958 book and knows who the good guy is.  Hint: the title doesn’t mean what you think it does.

12. Jenni Dougal says:

It’s… Manbearpig!

13. rg70 says:

My mom was born in ’42. She had this book and passed it on to my brother and I in the 70s. I think it is still somewhere in a box at her house.

14. Keith Hopkins says:

There was also a sixties version read by Soupy Sales.  I had it when I was a kid.  So long ago…

15. acerplatanoides says: