Teller explains the psychology of magic

10 Responses to “Teller explains the psychology of magic”

1. acerplatanoides says:

I believe you left a tag hanging at the end of this post.  I bet I wouldn’t have noticed if there had been a joke at the end of the post.

2. Tynam says:

Teller is not just one of the great technical magicians of our time, he gives by far the best interview.

3. noah django says:

I see his name as a frequent commenter here.  I always wonder if it’s *the* Teller.  He is a prototypical happy mutant, after all.

4. C W says:

I’d rather hear the psychology of appearing in Atlas Shrugged 2: The Shruggening.

5. jrishel says:

Is this where I request science fiction stories inspired by this article? It is? Oh, good. I want a science fiction story about the first human magician to create magic tricks for aliens, with different senses and pattern recognition systems.

6. Urbane_Gorilla says:

He talks too much.

7. hanoverfiste says:

I was an amateur magician in high school and I really liked P&T.  Most of the older guys in local magic club did not like them b/c they sometimes revealed secrets.  To me their edgy style raised the bar for magical entertainment.

I got Cruel Trick’s for Dear Friends and it give complete details on the cockroaches and David Letterman.  Also it has trick printing, in between the regular pages are notes and screenplays for Invisible Thread and P&T get killed.  It also came with a little book that called “Would Could Should’ stories that is used to perform a mind reading trick

The book is completely readable as long as you know the secret to the trick and it contains fiction stories written by them.  One of them may be favorite short story of all time, The President’s Message.

Recently I revived my interest and magic and in the last month my sons and I watched ITV’s P&T – Fool Us on Youtube.  After that my kids thought the videos of David Copperfield were pretty lame.

As a libertarian I also relate to them very well.

8. randomuser says:

Wasn’t something similar posted before on BB?  Video of him giving the explanation of the coin trick to a conference?