Google fiber offers 700 Mbps to homes

14 Responses to “Google fiber offers 700 Mbps to homes”

1. invictus says:

I, too, will some day enjoy my broadband-delivered rare steak and livestreamed glass of chardonnay.

2. Peter G. says:

Awesome! Can I get it sans Google’s dubious spying and indefinite detention of my personal information? Nope.

I should be happy that Google is “proving” that we Americans have broadband every bit as great as most of the industrialized world already enjoys. Too bad this project is too small a project to ever change ‘business as usual’ for the cabal of useless telecommunications companies in this country.

3. annoyed_1029 says:

Totally, in most major cities we already have the infrastructure to go well beyond the sad cable provider speeds, just so every couple years they can increase the speed a small bit and charge us more for it without costing them a penny more. But copper aside, we have a ton of unused fiber in the ground too, both Google and Verizon have been unable to utilize most of it due to local and state restrictions, no doubt lobbied for by the greater telecom industry

4. Johnny Farnen says:

What a waste. Thanks to anti-science laws and a public education system so bad it makes Alabama students look like geniuses, this is most likely the worst possible place for Google to pilot the program. I would actually be impressed if Google had spent the cash to help reinvent the worst possible public education model in the United States rather than give such bandwidth away to folks too poorly educated to be viable in higher education and the job market.

5. Jardine says:

“Imagine the entire contents of the planetary datalinks, the sum total of human knowledge, blasted into the Planetmind’s fragile neural network with the full force of every reactor on the planet. That is our last-ditch attempt to win humanity a reprieve from extinction at the hands of an awakened alien god.” -Academician Prokhor Zakharov, “Planet Speaks”

6. My town (Madison, WI) was in the running for this, i’m so sad we didn’t get it.

7. Brad H. says:

Before too long the majority of city dwellers in Australia will be getting that speed through a nationalised FFTP broadband network. The country will have to do with fixed wireless and satellite (I was recently living in the country for a few years and I was screaming for anything faster than 512Kbps; I think people will make do.)

Let’s hope the US has a similar roll-out in the next two decades! Public, private, public-private whatever. New Zealand and Singapore have theirs up. But if a large continent with hardly any people in it can pull it off, so can the Yanks.