23 Responses to “This week's The Walking Dead recap has sex, guts, and creepy phone calls in it! [SPOILERS]”

1. signsofrain says:

*SPOILERS FOR COMIC AND SHOW*

I love how the show uses familiarity with the comic book as a trap to play with expectations while still preserving a lot of the narrative from the books. Pretty sure that a Woodbury attack on the prison is inevitable.. also pretty sure that the Governer is gonna get his just desserts, courtesy of Andrea. (I’m kind of glad they seem to be skipping over the whole beatings/rape/scooping-eyeballs-out-with-a-spoon thing)

2. chgoliz says:

The part I didn’t get was that the archer on the wall was the one who was supposed to teach Andrea how to use a bow.  And she had graduated from her own bow to her father’s, which “cost more than a car”.  I suppose it was a plot device to get Andrea fired up for blood, but it didn’t play well.

Total incompetence can be played for humorous effect, such as when the prisoners hacked away at all the wrong zombie body parts while Rick, T-Dog & Daryl exchanged glances.  But this was supposed to be the teacher.  One miss….maybe, although that was ridiculously short range.  Two wide misses?  Yeah, no.  Not believable.

• Wasn’t two wide misses. One glanced off (a buckle, I think) and the second time the zombie “ducked”…

• chgoliz says:

The range is what….about 20 or 25 feet?  If the first miss was because the zombie lurched at the wrong moment, OK, that would be reasonable.  But why in the world would you shoot for the mid-section instead of the head?  That might stop the forward momentum for a second or two, at best.  Only logical answer I can think of: she doesn’t know how to aim that crossbow.

3. nvlady says:

I am sooo glad Carol is alive! I really love the relationship she has with Daryl. Its odd to place but that makes it so much more believable.

4. margaretpoa says:

Okay, I haven’t read the comic so no spoilers here but who thinks Darryl is going to wind up killing Merle?

• James Kimbell says:

Haven’t read them either, but I think it’ll be a ROTJ thing where the Governor/Emperor tries to get Merle/Vader to kill Daryl/Luke, but Merle kills the Governor instead.

• ljmabouttown says:

I haven’t read the comics either but I do know that Daryl (the character) isn’t in them so what happens with him is anyone’s guess.

5. I guess I’ll have to read this later, since I’m like a week behind schedule (not only I’m in Chile but I don’t have cable, hehehe) But the net has its ways of showing us stuff. Plus, I’m buying the comics, so eventually I’ll reach this point :-) heheheheh!!!

6. gwailo_joe says:

Merle is a great character.  Not such a _nice_ character…but he’s a survivor all right.  And he’ll be trouble for our little band: keep a stiff upper lip Glen and Maggie!

Ineffective archery girl is -I hope- a portent that The Guvnuhs people have perhaps grown a little soft behind their Great Wall of Tires.

But the prison is beginning to seem less like a refuge and more like a…yeah.  Rick is cracking.  At least he can still wield weaponry; but who’s left for a dedicated assault?

Daryl is stalwart.  Carl just had to kill his Moms so what’s tossing a few rounds at a few more actual humans, right?  Child’s play.

But Hershel is a crippled old man.  Carol is alive (welcome back) but all beat to hell.  The two prison dudes might be assets…but something about whitey moustache man: he might cut and run or do something pervy, maybe not…but he’s too goddamn obliging.  Who’s left?  Ol’ wassername and ???

Little Ass Kicker is just a little too young to be much use in a bloody battle of attrition…so…our side is Fucked.  ‘Game over man!’

Ahh, However…Hello Michonne…Welcome Home.  : )

7. I am not quite sure what is going on with this season and why it is so much better than the previous two, but I hope they keep it up.  As well as all the extra action (too much navel gazing previously) I am enjoying the dynamics between the characters a lot more too.  I was also pleased that Carol survived – she was my favourite minor character by a long chalk.  I didn’t mind so much when some of the others got chewed but for Carol – well, I grieved as much for Darryl as myself! There was a certain tenderness to their relationship which made him a much fuller character. I am also digging the whole Woodbury and the prison as visual metaphors thing… :)

•  this season is ‘better’ thanks to the writers having two concurrent and intersecting storylines, and pacing them immaculately. it shows they’re really paying attention to what the viewers want to see, all the while keeping the story tight. they made sure not to give anybody a reason to complain that ‘nothing is going on’ this season.

8. Heather says:

The phone call scenes were absolutely fantastic, intense, marvelous.
    Daryl scooping up Carol is the most tender scene of this entire season. (But why didn’t Carol say anything when the fellas were killing zombies outside her cell/hiding place?)
    Merle’s getting sneaky on the Gov, not telling complete truths, can’t see what happens there. And who will discover Penny?

• chgoliz says:

She’s dehydrated to the point of shock and near-death.

I admit (with a little gloating!) that I *knew* Carol was alive.  T-Dog’s sacrifice had to mean something, and her body was never found.  I figured she got caught behind something….like maybe dead bodies piled up so she couldn’t push a door open. And of course each day that goes by, she’d be that much weaker.

As soon as Daryl went to that door, then decided to focus his attention elsewhere….I KNEW he’d found her.

*happy dance*

9. IanM_66 says:

I guess we’re supposed be more or less on Michonne’s side, but it didn’t seem particularly necessary for her to jump out of the woods and slaughter those kids that were with Merle, rather than simply stay hidden or slink away, did it? It didn’t really remove any threat to her. That’s the first time we’ve seen her kill live humans, and it was essentially needless murder. Odd. I guess she’s a darker character than I’d guessed so far.

On the other hand, for people living in a zombie apocalypse, Merle and the Governor don’t seem to place a lot of value on the able-bodied humans (Neil, the soldiers earlier) who you’d think could add safety and manpower to their group. Instead, they’re relying on people like incompetent archer girl to guard the village? Doesn’t make much sense, except that they’re insecure and don’t want any humans around who could pose a threat to their power.

One other comment on Merle – I know he’s supposed to be a tough, rugged character, but his seeming invincibility gets a little unbelievable, to the point of silliness. He’s got one hand, and wasn’t the youngest, fittest, or soberest guy to begin with. Seeing him somehow handily beat that ripped MMA-type fighter in the zombie-cage fight last week got a little eye-rolly.

I had not missed Carol at all. She just stands around looking pained – not a very interesting character.

• chgoliz says:

“Doesn’t make much sense, except that they’re insecure and don’t want any humans around who could pose a threat to their power.”

ding ding ding: we have a winner.

• 1) considering that the 4top they sent out into the woods was out there specifically to kill michonne, i don’t see her killing them as needless. she knew they were going to track her (since merle is adept at tracking), she left a message for them, they ignored it, and she killed them. pretty cut and dry, pardon the pun.

2)i agree. woodbury is obviously not as safe as, even the governer, might think it is. i think the writers might be purposefully showing the cracks in the facade that is woodbury.

3)merle isn’t the fittest, or the youngest, however, he’s a survivor, he’s crazy, and he IS a fuckin bad-ass. he kicked serious ass on the roof in season one. he is not to be trifled with. and that zombie cage fight was the equivalent of a wwe match. defanged zombies, and i’m pretty sure a predetermined outcome.

10. DryDry says: